PDA

View Full Version : Moving HD to new PC and keep OS still working?

Fishb8
17-02-2012, 07:02 AM
If I remove my current HD with W7 Pro 64, and install into a brand new PC will my current OS + applications still work?
My product key is not OEM so it will be transferrable.
An OS re-install is no biggie but reloading all my applications is. Will W7 pick up all my new drivers ok?

Paul.Cov
17-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm just guessing, but since XP would track hardware changes to try to prevent cloning of an OS across multiple machines... I'm guessing W7 will throw a wobbler and get FUBAR'ed. I'd take an image of the HDD before letting Windows go berserk on it.

wainuitech
17-02-2012, 08:01 AM
It will depend on the differences between the two PC's. Sometimes if the hardware is close enough you clone the drive across, W7 fires up, Finds new hardware, does its thing, and you then put in drivers to match the hardware and away you go.

Other times it goes and blue screens then reboots.

One way you can try, clone the original drive, make sure it works on the original PC, then sysprep the Drive, but this depends on the type of COA you have as well.

pctek
17-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe is the answer.
Boot in safe mode, let it try, works well ASUS to ASUS even if a different model.
Might as well give it a go, at worse as Wainuitech says, it will BSOD and you may have to do a reinstall, backup first in case.

But most times I haven't had to.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Someone else in here tried that with XP. Seemed to work fine (after changing mobos). Didnt reinstall XP. But things went downhill, when they tried to install SP3. It wouldnt install (because after it (SP3) checked the product key), I think it noticed that the key was for the original system / mobo. Which was a Dell or something completely different

SolMiester
17-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Easiest solution is to use sysprep to prepare the O/S for transport....

C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe......OOBE \ Generalise and shutdown

Move HDD to new PC and allow Windows 7 to config itself for the new hardware.....

dugimodo
17-02-2012, 11:13 AM
You will most likely need to activate windows again also.

SolMiester
17-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, you will need to reactivate, but would do anyway, the O./S would register too many changes to the hardware not too!

Fishb8
17-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, I certainly expect to have to re-activate.
Will look at he sysprep!
cheers

mikebartnz
17-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Easiest solution is to use sysprep to prepare the O/S for transport....

C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe......OOBE \ Generalise and shutdown

Move HDD to new PC and allow Windows 7 to config itself for the new hardware.....
I would assume systemprep would remove all the hardware drivers. What I have done in the past is remove all hardware drivers before closing down the old PC so the when connected to the new PC there are no conflicts.

wainuitech
18-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I would assume systemprep would remove all the hardware drivers. What I have done in the past is remove all hardware drivers before closing down the old PC so the when connected to the new PC there are no conflicts. Just a bit of info--- Sysprep does more than just remove drivers. It also removes all SID's, when used correctly will remove the user account, remove the COA, so it can be entered in a New Computer, just to name a few things. Doing a google search will bring up all the "nuts and bolts" it does.

One of the main uses for sysprep is deployment to a new users from an original install - thats what all name brand PC's have had done to them, one image made with all the manufactures "crap" and sometimes good useful programs pre installed. When the person first fires up a New Name Brand PC they have to enter in all details, like agreeing to this that and the other, their user name, country etc -- this is all because of sysprep.

You can make an "Answer File" that can be used if deploying through a company that has volume or multi user licenses for the OS and programs to save time in manually entering them ( MS office for example). Just about anything can be set Via the answer file, Domain requirements etc.

mikebartnz
18-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks. I have never really had a need for it.