PDA

View Full Version : bios upgrade

24-10-2001, 05:01 PM
I am having trouble with my cyrix 266 computer continually crashing. I have gone into sis website
www.sis.com/support/driver/5598.htm and found a download that reads - This tsr program program is for updating your 5598 vga bios to newer version without reprograming your eprom. It provides better compatibility with sis 5598/5597 v1.13 driver and is able to fix the fatal error problem in your windows 98 system while upgrading the vga driver to v1.13 or its later versions. The using method only put it on c:\ and add '597v113.exe' to autoexec.bat, it will update bios when boot up. Is this safe to do and how do I get into the autoexec.bat?

24-10-2001, 05:49 PM
This looks much safer than reprogramming your BIOS chip. It just loads a small programme into memory, which will intercept some problem signals. And you can remove it without any danger. To get into the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, if you are not familiar with this you can do it in two ways. From Windows, edit c:\autoexec.bat. If it doesn't exist, make one, with one line: '597v113.exe' (without the 's). Save as a TEXT type file. Or from a DOS command line, type 'echo 597v113.exe >> c:\autoexec.bat' , then Enter.
(all in one line, and again without the 's). If the file exists, this will add that line at the end; else it will make it.
Then Shutdown, and reboot. It should then all work ...