PDA

View Full Version : Convert logical partition to primary

bpt2
16-02-2012, 10:30 PM
My Win XP PC was no longer booting up (stoppped after bios with a blank screen) so I installed a new copy of xp on a logical partition (F) on the same drive. It would not install on the sytem partition (C) for some reason. So I can now boot up and want to change the partition to the primary one. Is this possible?

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I take it you did a clean install (to try and install windows on C). You didnt try and install windows on C, while you were in Windows? Dont think you can change from F to C either. What error came up (if any), when you tried to install on C??

bpt2
17-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I just got a blank screen again during the reboot in the intall process. Maybe I just need to format and start from scratch.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2012, 08:52 AM
It does show a blank screen after you reboot the 1st time, till it gets to the setup screen. How long did you wait? If you didnt format / and start from scratch), what did you do?

bpt2
17-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I waited a long time, at least 10 mins.I did a new install over the exisitng one. It appears as a boot up otption now but just hangs when I select it.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2012, 09:21 AM
So you changed the bootdisk in the BIOS to the XP cd? Booted from it then when you got to the setup screen, wiped everything / inc partitions then recreated them (if you want partitions) then installed Windows?

bpt2
17-02-2012, 01:34 PM
No I did not delete or format any partitions. I first tried to install over existing installation on C drive but ended up with the same problem, not booting up past the blank screen. Then I selected a logical partition on the same drive and the install went fine and the PC boots ok to that partition.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2012, 01:43 PM
But to do that you would still have to boot from the CD (and change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the XP CD). Since, you cant install windows over itself / If you're in Windows)

Thats probably way youre going to fix it anyway. Boot from the cd wipe everything then reinstall Windows

bpt2
17-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes I did boot from the CD to do the install but I think you are right and I should format the partition and start from scratch. Thanks for your comments.