PDA

View Full Version : Wireless NIC PC Help

smithinator
16-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi
I'm moving into student accommodation soon and unfortunately the only way I am able to setup broadband is by putting a wireless router in the "utility" room next door (my room has no phone jack and we are unable to put one in). Because of this I have to purchase a wireless NIC card for my PC (which I use mostly for online gaming (cod, bf3 etc), and I know wireless and online games works together about as well as a cat and mouse but unfortunately it is my only option). The modem I will be using is the Telecom TG582n Wireless Modem (see below link) which is 802.11b/g/n compatible.

My questions are
1. What Wireless NIC card should I get that would be suitable for my needs (something that will allow me to play fast paced online games with minimal lag)?
2. What interface should the card be (PCI, PCIe x1 etc)?
3. Is there any performance difference between PCI and PCIe x1 NIC cards?

I was looking at these two cards:
D-link DWA-547 http://dlink.co.nz/products/?pid=792 = $120
D-Link DWA 556 http://dlink.co.nz/products/?pid=549 = $160

My only available PCIe x1 slot is very (I mean very) close to my GPU and the PCIe card above will cover my GPU's fan by about 20mm or so and it will be a very tight squeeze to get it in next to my GPU, will that be a problem? I have two PCI slots at the bottom of the board which are not obstructed by anything so maybe this type of interface would be best? as long as there is no performance penalties.

Modem: http://www.telecom.co.nz/internet/broadband/modem

Thanks, I know its a bit confusing (I'm still trying to get my head around everything) so if you need clarification on anything let me know :)

P.s I'm using Windows 7 64bit

Chilling_Silence
16-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Get USB, it's easier to move it around a bit and they're only ~$35 from PBTech
Also, ditch the modem, it'll cause you infinitely more issues than any wireless adapter could. Get something *decent* like the NB6Plus4Wn instead. It'll be money well spent and you'll be saving money vs those two D-Link cards you're looking at.

smithinator
16-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Because the modem will be in what is essentially a storage shed for communal use I would prefer to shy away from expensive modems, which is why I was going to use the telecom modem which I can get for free so its no big issue if it goes "missing" or has an unfortunate accident.

Can USB wireless dongles achieve high speed wireless connections suitable for online gaming?

linw
16-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Shouldn't you be more worried about how your Internet connection can help you with your studies? Good to get your priorities sorted:D

Chilling_Silence
16-02-2012, 12:15 PM
The USB will allow you to position it better physically, so it won't be down on the ground, but you can use the small USB lead to position it higher up for better signal.

Also, those routers are terrible and drop the connection via WiFi and the likes a LOT. Be prepared to cry, I'm just saying ...

smithinator
16-02-2012, 12:15 PM
My Priority List:

1. Gaming
2. YouTube
3. Gaming
4. Studies

all sorted! :D

smithinator
16-02-2012, 12:24 PM
The USB will allow you to position it better physically, so it won't be down on the ground, but you can use the small USB lead to position it higher up for better signal.

Also, those routers are terrible and drop the connection via WiFi and the likes a LOT. Be prepared to cry, I'm just saying ...

I see your point, is there any particular USB dongle you would recommend to go with that modem or would any do?

Agent_24
16-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah you can reposition a USB one but they usually have pretty lame internal antennas

I prefer cards (PCI or PCI-E won't make a difference) and then if you need to reposition the antenna, get one on the end of a cable.

You don't need a $120 card, I picked up a pair of $15 Realtek based ones a couple years ago which are still working just great.

dugimodo
16-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I like http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL0422&name=TP-LINK-TL-WN422G-Wireless-USB-Adapter-With-powerf good aerial and the option to use an external one if you need to.
Or http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETTPL0751&name=TP-Link-TL-WN751ND-150Mbps-Wireless-PCI-Adapter-At basically the same thing if you prefer internal.

I don't know what TP-Links reputation is like but the USB one I've had for quite a while now with no issues.

Chilling_Silence
16-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah anything, PCI or USB, just don't use that router or you'll honestly regret it...

smithinator
17-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your help everyone, I think I'll get a wireless USB transmitter they look much more convenient than the internal wireless NIC. Because the telecom router is free (with the plan I'm already getting) I'll give it a try and if it is horrendous I'll fork out for a better one. If anyone has anything to add feel free, Thanks again for the help.

Peter H
17-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't get a USB one unless the spec states 802.11 "N"
I prefer PCI as it's easier to change aerials and set up.
The high gain aerial from Jaycar works a treat, but is expensive, also there is
nothing wrong with the Telecom Modem/Wifi TG582n as has been implied a few times.
Maybe not the range of expensive units, but can be fixed with a better Aerial on your
computer.

Chilling_Silence
17-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Why N-Wifi? It's not specifically going to improve things, especially not with the crap Telecom router?

dugimodo
17-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Might as well get N, it is faster when everything works properly and it doesn't really cost much different. Although if it's just for internet any speed faster than the ADSL is redundant.
And Peter if you click the link for the USB one I suggested I think you'll find it has the same ease of aerial changing which makes that point moot.
As for easier setup, How? - plug in, run install program from disk, done.
Also you would only buy an aerial if you had range problems, mine works anywhere in my house with the default aerial just fine.

USB works fine, it's easy, you don't have to open the PC, you can use it on any machine you like.

Not that I have anything against internal ones, I just prefer the USB myself.

Agent_24
17-02-2012, 03:05 PM
An 802.11n supporting one is a good idea IMO, then you have the ability to take advantage of the newer standard if you need to. Saves you having to buy another adapter in the future.

Also, some that support N also support A due to the 5Ghz radio, so if you look around you can get a device that does A\B\G\N and thus you can use to connect to pretty much anything.

Chilling_Silence
17-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Fair call :)

Peter H
17-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Chill - have you actually used the telecom modem/router - latest one. I doubt it very much.

Chilling_Silence
17-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Which model?

Peter H
17-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Thompson TG 582 N

Chilling_Silence
17-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, briefly, and the newer VDSL2 model that supports VoIP too (TG789vn).

While they aren't anywhere near as bad, I found that both models still suffered many similar issues as the TG585, with WiFi dropping and it locking up and dropping the connection while gaming etc...

smithinator
18-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I forgot to mention before I'm using a 2.4GHZ mouse and Headset, will this cause any problems with 2.4GHZ wireless internet? I was definitely going to get 802.11n compatible devices (Thompson modem is compatible), but wasn't sure about 5GHZ is there any performance/stability benefit to using 5GHZ wireless?

Agent_24
18-02-2012, 09:53 AM
802.11n has some speed improvements, but stability depends on your devices\firmware\drivers.

Other 2.4Ghz devices may interfere or be interfered with. It's hard to say without just simply trying it out and seeing what happens.