PDA

View Full Version : CPU Temp of 1.2 Athlon too high?

24-10-2001, 03:55 PM
I bought a Computer from http://www.tastech.co.nz I didnt put it together myself as I do not have the experience.
It has an Athlon 1.2 which is not overclocked. It seems to run too hot. It used to run at about 45-55 degrees with the cases side on, 35-40 with it off, but after I updated the BIOS it shows it as running at 50-55 with the side off!
The HSF is a GlobalWin.
Anyone got any ideas as to why it jumped up in temp? Or any solutions?

24-10-2001, 07:02 PM
I would not believe that changing the BIOS changed the temperature. If your PSU fan and/or CPU fan have hot died,I would suspect the software which calculates the temperature from a sensor. Get a thermometer. You only need a cheap one --- a garden centre, or the Warehouse or the $2 shop. If you've got some ice in the fridge, put some in a cup and stir it up and check that the thermometer reads about 0deg C. Then dry the thermometer and sit it on your CPU heatsink. See what it reads. Then close the box, and leave the computer going for a few hours, then open it and read the thermometer again. This will show you whether to trust the high technology reading. Take it as an indication. It is not a calibrated instrument.

24-10-2001, 07:32 PM
what motherboard do you have??
some have had probs with the temp sensors not reading right.

24-10-2001, 07:36 PM
Its an Asus A7M266.

26-10-2001, 01:18 AM
There is an ASUS BIOS update that *does* up the temperature reading, which is by design because they found that the temp accuracy was not what it should be (and giving lower temp readings than it should).

However, the sort of temperatures you are experiencing are pretty high. (AS an aside, I am using a 1.4GHz Athlon and it runs at around 39degC).

A 1.1GHz PC I assembled recently had a slow turning fan at around 2500 rpm (the fan was U/S out of the box) and the CPU was running at 61degC - not good.
The fan on my PC runs at 5600rpm.