PDA

View Full Version : Router speed status vs Speedtest.net

Nomad
14-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi, the router says 15k connection downstream and 1200 for upstream. However Speedtest.net says

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1771551928.png

Is this normal?

wainuitech
14-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Depends --- if the router says its capable of those speeds, then that doesn't mean you will get those speeds.

Speed tests are only saying what the speed is at that test. Just because a line is capable of a certain speed, its not always going to get it - depends on network traffic, time of day etc. No one actually gets the max speed available all the time.

Try a different location in speed test and you will get a different result, could be better or worse.

dugimodo
14-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Think of it like roads, the router is reporting the maximum speed data can flow between you and the nearest intersection (exchange or cabinet) under Ideal conditions, speedtest is testing how fast data can actually get between 2 points and is effected by the speed and traffic volume of everything in between.

Agent_24
14-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Sync rate is always higher than actual throughput.

I sync at ~16Mbit but actual data throughput is lower, around 14Mbit or a bit less depending on the day...

If you're connected to your router via WiFi it might cause a slowdown depending on how good your signal is.

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Sync rate is always higher than actual throughput.

I sync at ~16Mbit but actual data throughput is lower, around 14Mbit or a bit less depending on the day...

Same... Though you should get kinda close, like I'd expect something similar to what Agent_24 gets... 15mbps down to 8mbps is a bit slower than I'd expect...

dugimodo
14-02-2012, 03:42 PM
It's impossible to know what it should be without knowing specific details about the network feeding it. Some remote cabinets are still fed by 1-4 2MB connections for the whole cabinet which would make the max throughput around 8MB/s or lower regardless of sync speed. In other cases the local exchange or cabinet might have a single fibre connection shared between a lot of customers and performance will vary wildly depending on the time of day.

The network gets better almost daily but there are still a lot of people who can't get the full potential of ADSL and others who can't get it at all.