PDA

View Full Version : For Big Brains Only

lostsoul62
14-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I couldn't think of a title so here goes:

I have 5 computers on the network. I have 2 computers with Windows 7 and 1 Vista on Ethernet. 2 computers wireless. One of the wirelesses (Vista laptop) can get on the Internet with Ethernet and can also get on wireless on someone else’s wireless network but not my wireless network but my XP wireless laptop can get on. The router works, all the computers work, Ethernet and wireless works. What could be the problem?

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Have you read any of the other 2-3 posts (relating to the same prob) properly? If XP cant get on the network, make sure SP3 is installed on it. Disable password protected sharing in Vista and Win7. Configure any firewalls properly (if its not windows firewall)

Agent_24
14-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Continuously re-posting the same question is unlikely to get you a better answer!

Now the title just looks like you're just trying to insult the people who tried to help you last time.

Help us to help you, did you actually try any of the things suggested in the previous threads?

14-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Have you read any of the other 2-3 posts

Actually, seems to be have reposted similar question 6 times !!!

Perhaps he needs to pay a tech to help onsite
a banana is in order here
:banana

CYaBro
14-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Turn the security off on your wireless router and see if the Vista laptop can connect.

Agent_24
14-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Turn the security off on your wireless router and see if the Vista laptop can connect.

We suggested that before, then he said he didn't know how, I suggested he read the manual, and then he re-posted the question again :rolleyes:

Actually if one of them is having a problem with security, try updating the drivers for that laptop. Out of date drivers can have all sorts of issues.

CYaBro
14-02-2012, 03:13 PM
We suggested that before, then he said he didn't know how, I suggested he read the manual, and then he re-posted the question again :rolleyes:

Actually if one of them is having a problem with security, try updating the drivers for that laptop. Out of date drivers can have all sorts of issues.

Haha! I should read all the posts first shouldn't I?? :D
It sounds like the OP has been given all the info they should need to fix it.
As suggested it sounds like it may need a professional to look at it.

SP8's
14-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I have a big brain ... only problem is ... I can't find the "on" switch ... :D

lostsoul62
15-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Have you read any of the other 2-3 posts (relating to the same prob) properly? If XP cant get on the network, make sure SP3 is installed on it. Disable password protected sharing in Vista and Win7. Configure any firewalls properly (if its not windows firewall)

XP can get on the network fine but the Vista laptop can't. I have disable all pasword protected with all the computers. I even trun off the firewall while trying to connect.

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Share a folder as well. Dont share the whole hdd

lostsoul62
15-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Continuously re-posting the same question is unlikely to get you a better answer!

Now the title just looks like you're just trying to insult the people who tried to help you last time.

Help us to help you, did you actually try any of the things suggested in the previous threads?

NO because the situation has change. The Vista laptop can get back on the internet using Ethernet and it can connect using someone else’s wireless network. Yes I've tried just about everything you can think of and I know it's something small and simply so I'm studying networking home computers so I can have a better understanding of what is going on.

lostsoul62
15-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Actually, seems to be have reposted similar question 6 times !!!

Perhaps he needs to pay a tech to help onsite
a banana is in order here
:banana

No I bought a kindle networking book for home computers and am reading it everyday so I figure I'm just going to have to educate myself inorder to solve this problem.

lostsoul62
15-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Thank you it does work without security so now I know the problem. I've set the router at WPA MODE: Auto (WPA or WPA2) Cipher Type: TKIP or AES so now I have to play with the security setting or if you can give me any advice I would imprecate. I think someone suggested this but I'm so afraid to do certain things. If I aggravated anyone on this site: I'm sorry, I'm just an old paranoid man who has to try things because I have a background in computer but have been retired for 10 years. Thank you again.

wainuitech
15-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Sometimes wireless connections get damaged,and wont connect.

Something you can try - it may or may not have any effect -- open your wireless networks, manage wireless networks, locate the one you are trying to connect to in the list then remove it, then try to reconnect from fresh. Visual Guide shown here (http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/manage-your-wireless-guide-wifi-networks-in-windows-7/) When setting up, dont use public network if at home, that can cause problems as well. ( use Home)

While in there, you can also remove any "rouge" or unused networks. Often if people use a device a"around town" or use hotspots the list is full of disused connections.

15-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Ok , for this issue, the vista lappy cant connect to wifi with security on . (but can connect to someone elses wifi)

You need to eliminate all possible causes

1) update the firmware on the router (there is a small risk with this)
2) update drivers & bios on the laptop
3) turn off all other wireless devices, microwave ovens, cellphones, bluetooth devices, cordless phones
4) move the laptop to another location in the house
5) try another wifi channel (in the router setup)
6) disable any 3rd party wifi manager software, use the Windows wifi manager/connector
try WEP, then WPA, then WPA2

You may just need to buy another wifi router, it may be a bit flaky.

Agent_24
15-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I would try upgrading the WiFi Card driver on the laptop that has issues first, because I had a very similar problem with my own laptop.

It would connect just fine to an unsecured network or WEP, but it had weird issues if I tried to use WPA\WPA2.

What tipped me off that it was a driver issue was that any network with WPA2 was only shown as WPA or even sometimes showed up as WEP in some programs.

I had to download an unofficial Atheros driver from www.atheros.cz website as Toshiba didn't have anything newer than 2004 or so, but with the latest driver (dated 2011) I have had no issues with it since.

lostsoul62
15-02-2012, 02:53 PM
open your wireless networks, manage wireless networks, locate the one you are trying to connect to in the list then remove it, then try to reconnect from fresh.

I did what you said. This is also a Vista Laptop. The old network was still there and I got rid of it and mine also and re-install it. Now when I take a look at all the networks on the laptop I see mine and it say's "Connected" instead of "Security-enabled network" and it is in Bold letters. I still can't get on the network but I feel I'm getting closer.

wainuitech
15-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Now That its saying "connected" Can you get on the internet ?

(From Experience - forget about any networking at the moment)

Take one step at a time when answering questions and trying things from various people , its a lot easier than throwing all sorts of questions/Suggestions around and everyone getting totally confused as to whats working and whats not.

lostsoul62
16-02-2012, 04:24 AM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;1076463]Now That its saying "connected" Can you get on the internet ?

Yes it can get on the Internet through an un-secure network
I tried WEP and it wouldn't accept the passphrase

16-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Since this laptop works OK on other wifi networks, you may need to try another mode/router/accesspoint.
Also try turning off/disconnecting the other PC/laptops & then see if you can connect with WEP on.