PDA

View Full Version : Laptop DVD replacement

bk T
13-02-2012, 08:23 PM
My HP laptop's DVD drive is faulty and would like to replace it. Can I just buy any DVD drive and replace it or have to get it from HP? Are all laptop DVD drives standard piece of hardware like those desktop units?

Cheers

Slankydudl
13-02-2012, 08:33 PM
No you have to get a laptop drive. They aint hard to find and they are mostly cross compatable.

bk T
13-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, I know that. What I meant is, are all laptop dvd drives the same?

wainuitech
13-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, I know that. What I meant is, are all laptop dvd drives the same? No - Different models (Some laptops) can use different connections, esp older ones.

Whats the model # I have a Dead F500 HP/Compaq in the workshop, AFAIK the drive works,the Motherboard blew its nuts :D - Drives yours if you want it, just pay for postage. If needed I can post a Pic of the connection to see if its the same as yours.

CYaBro
13-02-2012, 08:52 PM
How old is the laptop?
What make/model?
Have a look on the bottom and see if there is a screw with a marking next to it that looks like a CD.
If there is remove it and the optical drive should just slide out.
If not then it may be a bit harder to get it out.

If the drive is SATA then they are all usually the same and you can just slide a replacement drive in.
Sometimes you may have to remove the front bezel of each drive and swap them over so that the replacement matches the style of your laptop.

bk T
13-02-2012, 09:26 PM
It's a HP Compaq nx6120, quite an old laptop. Will try to pull it out tomorrow to see what sort of connection it has.

Wainutech, it would be nice if you could post a picture of the connection type. :thanks

Just did a quick check and found that it's not cheap, really, considering the age of this laptop, may just drop the idea.

CYaBro
13-02-2012, 09:31 PM
More than likely it will be an IDE drive so less chance of just buying a generic replacement.