PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Hardrive or Graphics card?

ChazTheGeek
11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
My brothers computer jams up when playing a game with heaps of things happening, then the computer re boots. That is the graphics card right? The Hardrive is a really old 35 GB IDE hardrive is that the problem? I don't think it is. Do you guys know what it is? :nerd:

dugimodo
11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Could be, possibly overheating Graphics or CPU. Run furmark to check graphics temps under load and do a visual inspection for dust etc inside the case, make sure fans are spinning freely

icow
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
What are your temps like (seeing as you have a fanless gpu)? Also what psu do you have? Even though it doesnt require external power the psu might not have the amperage or something.

wainuitech
11-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Could be any one of the following:

Over Heating
Faulty Graphic Card
Power Supply failing under to much load
Memory Failing
Motherboard failing
HDD Failing
CPU failing

Take your pick, you may need to inspect one at a time till you find the culprit, Only change one thing at a time, as if you change any more and it fixes it, you wont know which was causing the Problem

ChazTheGeek
11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys. By the way it's my brothers pc. I'm lucky it's not mine!

ChazTheGeek
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys. It was the RAM. I put in a different stick and made the difference!

gary67
11-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I would be checking how full that hard drive is too as that could be an issue too

Agent_24
11-02-2012, 11:22 PM
For an older PC, the PSU (if cheap) will usually have failed capacitors.

ChazTheGeek
12-02-2012, 08:23 AM
The hardrive is quite full. What makes it worse is that it is an old 35GB IDE!
It's working fine now.

ChazTheGeek
12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Now it's jamming again. I gota keep trying.

wainuitech
12-02-2012, 09:57 AM
If the HDD is full then it will give problems, things need room to move ( in simple terms) -- Clean it out.

Computers dont last forever - other parts can be giving problems as well, and if the drive is full you will find there will be system corruption usually. Sometimes a complete reinstall does wonders as long as its not hardware related.

ChazTheGeek
13-02-2012, 04:06 PM
It might be. The thing is that I tried another HDD (which is also old) 80GB and it still jammed up. It's not the RAM either. Iv'e tested it.
So it's either :

motherboard
Graphics card
CPU

Would you know what it is?

wainuitech
13-02-2012, 04:46 PM
From that list, it could be a 1 in 5 guess. Why 5 --> Power supply not listed, could also be the ribbon between the HDD and motherboard.

Apart from testing each component, then guessing is only that, a guess.

If it were in my workshop for example, I would try another Ribbon, then PSU, see if it made any difference, if not then change the graphic card, then change the CPU, then if still playing up, put all the components into another known good working motherboard. Its a process of elimination sometimes.

It would be a brave ( or foolish) person to say "insert component" without actually testing -- its your money if you have to purchase parts for testing, only hoping its the right part thats faulty.

One thing -- most people here wont go giving bad information or advise on purpose, sometimes its a case you have to have a PC in front of you to actually test for faults correctly and pin point the actual problem, other times its trial and error, and a lot of try this try that etc.

Lockups and shut downs can be caused by several things, or combination of things.

ChazTheGeek
17-02-2012, 06:50 AM
The PSU works fine as I swapped it in with another one. Still the same problem. It might be the ribbon as I did change it. I have no CPU to change it with or a another AGP graphics card.
I have 2 PCI-E cards though.

ChazTheGeek
21-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Yep it was the IDE cord. It's now a stable system.

wainuitech
21-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Good you got it sorted -- A $1 component and look at the trouble it can cause :D

ChazTheGeek
21-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep. What actually happened to the cord. Are some little wires broken or something?
Thanks for the help.

Agent_24
21-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Wires won't generally break by themselves, but they can work loose from the socket where they get crimped in to the terminals (especially if the plug is tight in a drive and you have to really pull to get it out, that can help loosen it)

I had one where the thing was in so tight to the drive that the cable ripped right off the socket when I tried to remove it...

Another one could be if the cable got wet at home, in the shop or even in the factory and slowly corroded until it was useless...

ChazTheGeek
22-02-2012, 06:27 AM
ohhh. :nerd: