PDA

View Full Version : External HDD recommendations please

SP8's
11-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi all ... just wondering whether WD or Seagate is the preferred choice these days.

Looking for 500GB - 1TB and as this is my first purchase of said item, could someone please tell me whether it's possible to swap out HD's in the enclosure or are they sealed. Thinking about using it as a means to scan laptop drives with desktop comp, but not sure whether that's possible or not.

TIA for assistance.

wainuitech
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Much of a muchness really.

Are you looking at a 2.5" or 3.5" Drive ? The 2.5 (laptop drives) run from USB power, where as the 3.5 need an external mains power source.

Some enclosures are sealed others aren't.

Some of the drives are soldered directly to the internal circuit boards these days, so you cant simply pull them out and have a standard SATA connection.

linw
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I think both brands are fine but shop around as prices have gone up substantially since the floods in Thailand.

I wouldn't open them for the purpose you describe. I use a cheap USB connector/pwr supply which can connect both 3.5" and 2.5" (don't need pwr supply) drives. You could also consider a docking station that takes both sizes and buy bare drives.

dugimodo
11-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah like Linw says I have a dock that takes either 2.5 or 3.5" drives and has either a usb or eSATA connection to the pc that I use for attaching drives temporarily.
And I agree both brands are about the same quality wise, shop for the features/ warranty you want and don't worry about it.

SP8's
11-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Wainui ... My thinking was to have a 2.5" external HD which has the capability of swapping physical HD's. I want the external (new) as a backup drive, at the same time being able to take the physical HD out of the enclosure and put a Lappy HD in for scanning, etc.

However, linw and dugimodo have both suggested alternatives to that. With 3.5" drives from other computers, I usually just chuck them in as a slave to scan.

Daughters computer has a broken power input and she needs to backup ... yesterday ... by the sounds of it !! Just thought I might be able to kill more than 1 bird with the credit card ...

dugimodo
11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't use it due to lack of sata connections and no actual need but two of my cases actually have a laptop hard drive dock built right in. I think the cheaper one is an Antec 200 or similar.

wainuitech
11-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Wainui ... My thinking was to have a 2.5" external HD which has the capability of swapping physical HD's. Sometimes I will use external cases, ones like This one here (http://www.dove.co.nz/assets/images/product/7842-5015108.png) (Plenty of different ones about) - or other times used an adaptor, I have two of these (http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=239/ID=16913/SID=885658203/productdetails.html) - Always come in handy. The adaptor takes IDE - 2.5" HDD's as well as 3.5" HDD, and SATA :)

SP8's
11-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Wainui ... now I have a better idea of what to go for.