View Full Version : HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galazy S2

dion
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi All,
- HTC Sensation goes for $699
- Samsung Galaxay S2 for $829

Which phone would you go for?
Any opinion on which is best (and why)

I'm trying to decide between the two. My main aim is to do Gmail on it, and a bit of browsing, mainly via WiFi.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dion.

somebody
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
HTC Sensation. I generally prefer the HTC phones as they feel a lot more sturdy and well constructed compared to Samsung phones.

I have an HTC Sensation, and it's rock solid.

Richard
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Look for the biggest screen size if your use will be as you say. It seems that both are extremely good phones/cameras/mini-tablets etc.

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
One advantage the SGS2 has is Gorilla Glass though, so keep that in mind.
The camera on the Sensation beats the SGS2 though.

Both are getting an ICS upgrade to the latest Android version shortly though.

Try both, see which you like the feel of best ... Or try the Galaxy Nexus :D

somebody
11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
The Sensation also has Gorilla Glass apparently http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-sensation-has-gorilla-glass-aluminum-unibody-chassis
Edit: Yes it does: http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla/htc

mikebartnz
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Try both, see which you like the feel of best ... Or try the Galaxy Nexus :D
Have you actually tried it and how do you rate it as I have been waiting for it.

somebody
11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Have you actually tried it and how do you rate it as I have been waiting for it.

I don't particularly like it. A friend showed me his which he imported, and it's noticeably bigger; looks/feels thicker than it really is, and like all Samsung smartphones I've come across, is quite 'plasticy'. Ice Cream Sandwich on it is quite cool though.

Chikara
12-02-2012, 01:39 AM
I have the HTC Sensation, got it here in Singapore when I renewed my contract about 6 months ago for like SGD ~$200 :)

I havent used the Galaxy, but I am very happy with the Sensation so far. When I first got it, I though the screen might be too big, and be uncomfortable in my pocket, but it's been fine... i dont think now I could ever go back to a smaller screen on a phone.
The build quality is good, the screen is pretty scratch resistant, and it's very responsive. The low internal memory is not great, but if you get a fast speed, large microSD card that doesnt really matter.

The only issues I have had are:
1) sometimes playing MP3's they would 'skip' intermittently. It never really used to do that until after I updated my music library which included embedding album art images in the file, so I suspect that may be the cause, and it handles graphic intensive games (like Angry Birds etc) without problems. The skippipng is not too bad though, and doesn't do it all the time... and I have a *lot* of songs
2) Sometimes when I go back to the home screen, the screen is blank and it takes 5-10 seconds to reload/update (this is the screen that has the clock, etc on). I put this down to having used memory for other things first, and it having to re-load that screen again when I go back to it. It's a minor pain only.

Apart from those two things, I have been very happy with it.

Battery life is good, but I use Juice Defender Free (which I fully recommend to anyone on Android) so I don;t know the out of the box battery life.

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I stand corrected on the Sensation, that's good to know! :)

Just realized I've had mine now for just over two weeks and still haven't blogged about it or anything. Perhaps I could do that after (during?) church today :D

Honestly it's a *real* nice phone, the only thing that takes a little getting used to is the physical size of it, trying to reach your thumb up to the far-opposite corner of the screen requires you to do a kind of 'shuffle' in your hand. My hands aren't terrible big. Although, by the time you hold it up to compare vs other phones it's not significantly wider or taller because it has such a tiny bevel.

The screen is *gorgeous*! Really really nice, especially when you get some decent 720p video on there, it looks amazingly crisp! It feels great to use too with its oleophobic coating. Fingers slide across it much easier than my SGS or my old Nexus One (Which my wife has).
Very smooth overall experience, ICS runs brilliantly on it. I've had ICS for about 2-3 months now on my Galaxy S, but this takes it all to a whole new level for sure.

The camera is awesome, zero shutter lag *can* produce blurry photos if you go crazy with it moving it all over the show (Not how it was intended to be used), but overall it means you're able to take a couple of good snaps in quick succession. The actual quality of the camera is pretty darn good too, and in a lot of cases it easily rivals the quality of a photo you'd get from a normal digital camera. In some instances though where there's a saturation of light in a specific area of the photo, it doesn't do as well as it could.

There's more than ample storage which was cause for issue with my wifes Nexus One, this isn't the case. All my MP3s are now stored on Google Music too so I stream those.

Unlocking / locking the phone is quick, launching is snappy, though bringing up the "Recent Apps Menu" can take roughly 3/4 of a second at times. Apparently this has already been fixed in a newer release which is scheduled to come out soon.

I also experienced a bit of 3G drop-off on the standard radio (Phone was parallel imported by a company in Auckland CBD) but an update online to the latest versions of the OS and Radio fixed that up easily :)

Overall, I'm *really* impressed by the phone. It's a great piece of work!

BTW - NFC is freakin' *cool*!! Like really awesome, and I can't wait for my NFC Chips to arrive.

plod
12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
BTW - NFC is freakin' *cool*!! Like really awesome, and I can't wait for my NFC Chips to arrive.
What are you using NFC for at the moment?

Trev
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
This from Consumer.

Samsung Galaxy S II
$999 shop online
Good points

Excellent handset design, calling and TXTing, accessing email, browsing the web, GPS navigation and syncing with a computer. Very good camera quality and music player. Good video quality. Has a high-resolution screen. Camera has a high resolution and a flash. Very thin.
But

Bulky.

HTC Sensation
$799 shop online
Good points

Excellent handset design, calling and TXTing, accessing email and syncing with a computer. Very good music player, browsing the web and GPS navigation. Good camera quality and video quality. Has a high-resolution screen. Camera has a high resolution and a flash. Thin.
But

Heavy. Bulky.

:)

Alex B
12-02-2012, 03:04 PM
HTC Sense seems to be a love or hate it thing, personally I quite like it (Even thought I've only used it on a Desire and Wildfire S) So that would sway me to the Sensation.

paulw
12-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I stand corrected on the Sensation, that's good to know! :)

Chips?? There's insert in the SGS2 for the NFC chip??