PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7, Vista, and XP on the Network

lostsoul62
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm trying to get my computers on the network and I'm not sure how to do it. I have 2 Windows 7 computers and 1 Vista that can see my Windows 7 but I can't see them.

wainuitech
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
On the windows 7 PC, make sure you are not using homegroup - it doesn't work on Other OS. ( has lots of problems with W7 as well ;) ) Use standard networking.

Make sure all the work groups are the same, no two PC's have the same name or one will cancel out the other, also make sure network discovery is enabled in the advanced network settings, as well as password protected sharing is disabled.

Heres what I mean -- Below is W7, which can see (and be seen) by any of the OS's I run (XP, ubuntu, SBS, W7)

To get to that, click start, type in sharing In the result click manage advanced sharing settings.

Generally ( works better) In W7 you basically need to have some folders shared for it to show as well, all the sharing settings have to be done right, as its actually a two stage share to work correctly, since W7 sharing is "borrowed" from a server OS. This is whee many people have problems, they only half share a folder and it doesn't work.

Snorkbox
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Also see this post:-

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?123203-Labtop-can-t-see-the-Internet&p=1075665#post1075665

wainuitech
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Adding to previous post -- if you are not to sure on how to share a folder In W7, I have thrown a quick Video on how I do it. It works each and every time, if it doesn't allow the contents to be shared, or shown on a LAN then there is something else causing the problem.

This swill also work for existing folders on the PC.

Its a bit rough, and theres a little lag as the PC it was done on is not exactly the most powerful and the video capture put quite a drain on it. But you'll get the idea. First right click the folder to bring up the menu >>> Rest on Youtube (http://youtu.be/CWVzmq0PUIk) Once shared it will show up under your own Computer as shared.