PDA

View Full Version : free back up software

GameJunkie
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
what are people currently using as their backup software?

recently got a 2TB external that i can use to back up my laptop

i've got paragon 2010 installed, but wonder if their's anything 'better' so to speak

thanks

GJ

wainuitech
10-02-2012, 03:29 PM
If using complete backup, Eg, whole OS, programs data etc, then Active@disk Image (not free but works) if general daily backups, fbackup - the free version. And sometimes on the odd occasion SyncBack.

Here personally I use WHS as a daily backup, as well as fbackup as a secondary to other devices ( PC's on the LAN) but can be sent to a USB drive if wanted. All run on a schedule, so as long as the PC's are turned on they do their thing.

One of the reasons I use the above software is you can open or view the backups on any PC. some backup software puts it in its own format that requires the program to open.

GameJunkie
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Had a look at fbackup. Will download it

dugimodo
10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I just use windows 7 built in backup, it's actually pretty good. Scheduled to run a weekly backup including system image. I've used acronis in the past for system images and had mixed results, when it worked it restored my entire system in under 10 mins, but sometimes it screws up and the result is not bootable.

gary67
10-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Syncback free for data, Active for system image for me

psycik
10-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Data only, but I can't rave about crashplan enough. Yes you can pay for online backups (fairly reasonable at $50 USD a year) for free you can back up to a folder/drive, another machine in your network, or get this, with a code, a mate's PC over the internet. It's all encrupted at so there's no snooping.

And if you're worried (sending to your mates) abou tthe size of the backup, you can backup to your external hard drive, take it round there and carry it on....

So it's not image based (I use acronis for that) but the daily data backups are great.

mikebartnz
10-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I use luckyBackup within Linux after trying numerous different ones. A windows version is coming out soon.

fred_fish
10-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I use luckyBackup within Linux after trying numerous different ones. A windows version is coming out soon.
I have no intention of relying on luck for my backups ;)

rsync (I think there is also a partially handicapped version suitable for windows)

wuppo
10-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Genie Timeline free. Backs up changed files every hour (or on demand) while you work, and allows you to retrieve previous copies of changed files by exploring a timeline.

zqwerty
11-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Use it for 30 days:

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm

13-02-2012, 10:22 AM
robocopy
:clap

There's been some comments on this forum that Paragon may be unreliable ??