PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo ThinPad E40 ... no service agent in Dunedin for warranty repair ...

SP8's
10-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi all

Got a 9 month old lappy as described above ... still under warranty. Has had beer spilt onto keypad and now wont start due to "Sticking Key" error.

I am capable of taking it apart and cleaning it myself to see if I can get it going again, but not being an authorised service agent, would this breach the warranty terms if anything else happened to it in the future?

Obviously spilling beer over the keypad wont be covered by warranty anyway.

Don't really have the option of sending through to the Lenovo agent as the owner of the computer may well be going back to China before the thing can be fixed.

Would like some opinions as to whether I should or shouldn't.

TIA

DeSade
10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
You will almost certainly void the warranty if you open it up, but lets face it, what warranty claim will be honoured after the beer incident?
I say cut your losses with the warranty and fix it yourself.

SP8's
10-02-2012, 09:54 AM
My thinking as well DeSade ... not sure how much beer was spilt into it, but can't hear any sloshing around and none dripping out of the USB ports ... :D

CYaBro
10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Chances are some liquid has got through the keyboard or somewhere else and into the mainboard so no more warranty anyway.
Insurance claim perhaps?

SP8's
10-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I feel brave ... maybe the fumes from the spilt beer ... but I'm going in ...

Check back with you later ...

pctek
10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
still under warranty. Has had beer spilt onto keypad and now wont start due to "Sticking Key" error.

I am capable of taking it apart and cleaning it myself to see if I can get it going again, but not being an authorised service agent, would this breach the warranty terms if anything else happened to it in the future?

That's debatable about the warranty being breached if you do anything. However, it's not a warranty thing so go ahead.
If it's stuffed, it's covered by Insurance.

Manufacturing fault = warranty
Accident = insurance company

Alex B
10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure Gen-i are the service agent so there is one in Dunedin.

SP8's
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Well ... it was full of beer. Gave it a wash out in warm slightly soapy water ... rinsed it with warm water ... blew it out with the compressor ... dried it off gently with the hair dryer ...

It FREAKIN works ... :clap ... and I've only got 7 screws left over ... :lol:

nedkelly
11-02-2012, 08:50 AM
haha I always have that problem with laptops, so i have started mapping out where screws come from in foam or polystyrene