PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill autoformat in Word 2003 stone dead?

Billy T
09-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi Team

While trying to get rid of a minor auto-format intrusion by Word (automatic bullet points and indentations) it has taken what I thought was going to be a reduction of auto-formatting to be an invitation to throw the whole flaming bucket load at me.

I want to turn auto-formatting off completely but the Online Help isn't telling me how, and reversing the minor change that I did make has not helped either.

Instead of a simple page of text I now have all sorts of crap down the RHS of the screen and dotted lines everywhere!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

wainuitech
09-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Dont know if you have tried turn_off_automatic_formatting_in_microsoft_word (http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_turn_off_automatic_formatting_in_microsof t_word.html) Have a look at the video on the right, shows you what is written in the text.

Hope it works for ya! :)

Billy T
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Dont know if you have tried turn_off_automatic_formatting_in_microsoft_word (http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_turn_off_automatic_formatting_in_microsof t_word.html) Have a look at the video on the right, shows you what is written in the text.

Hope it works for ya! :)

It didn't do exactly what I wanted, but somehow or other it led me directly to This (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm) which achieved the desired outcome thanks. :)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

BBCmicro
10-02-2012, 07:01 AM
That link you referred, BillyT, says this:

"it seems likely that this problem, like many others in Word, is caused by a poorly written add‑in"

I couldn't agree more. I use Word 2007. Some paragraphs suddenly get a slightly different font which is visible in Word, but I can put the cursor in the offending paragraph and it doesn't indicate anything wrong. When I convert the document to HTML/ePUB, the new font is horribly visible.

As far as I can tell the only cure is to cut out the offending text, drop it into Wordpad, and reselect it.

Word is bloated and buggy and commands are often very non-intuitive. But all Microsfoft do is make cosmetic changes so they can sell an update

Billy T
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Word is bloated and buggy and commands are often very non-intuitive. But all Microsoft do is make cosmetic changes so they can sell an update

I'm with you on the 'non-intuitive' but I can't say I've found it to be buggy. Mind you, I do not attempt to plumb the depths of its capabilities (something you might have guessed from my intense dislike of autoformatting) and have set up template documents for the main styles and formats I require. Another reason why I am still back at 2003!

I subscribe to the viewpoint "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it' and if an OS or Program is doing everything I ask of it, I see no need for change.

I have used the 'cut out the offending text, drop it into Wordpad, and reselect' technique with considerable success myself when a problem is too big to sort quickly.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)