PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Slingshot?

mzee
09-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I am currently using Orcon Genius for my Broadband & Phone.
Having big problems with the phone. Considering scrapping the Phone but Orcon do not do 'Naked Broadband'.
Slingshot are offering 'Naked Broadband' 60gb for $60.00 month. I was with Slingshot many years ago and was not impressed. Does anyone deal with them now, and has anyone got 'Naked Broadband' with them?

What is Telecom like these days?

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2012, 10:06 AM
If you want this, I wouldnt go to SS (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?123150-Slingshot-....-anyone-have-a-number-for-someone-in-charge). I thought thats what Orcon Genius was. According to the site it is Naked ADSL (http://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/do_you_guys_do_naked_dsl)

lakewoodlady
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I am with slingshot and pay $80 for 30gb. The other naked plan is $90 for unlimited. Don`t know where you got the $60 one from?

LL

AvonBill
09-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm with Slingshot. I have recently switched to them for phone service as well as broadband. I pay per month:
$40 for 50GB
$42 for phone line

I have used them for broadband and tolls for many years. Always had superb service.

SP8's
09-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Avoid at all costs ... anyone but Slingsh!t .... Try HDNet and compare

mzee
09-02-2012, 01:33 PM
If you want this, I wouldnt go to SS (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?123150-Slingshot-....-anyone-have-a-number-for-someone-in-charge). I thought thats what Orcon Genius was. According to the site it is Naked ADSL (http://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/do_you_guys_do_naked_dsl)

The Orcon Genius is VoiP phone which doesn't work very well. It's not true Naked Broadband because it will not work with a standard Router
(I have 3). Pretty sure the Genius is faulty, been trying to extract another from them for two months.

mzee
09-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I am with slingshot and pay $80 for 30gb. The other naked plan is $90 for unlimited. Don`t know where you got the $60 one from?

LL

Its on Slingshot Home page.

SP8's
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Sorry ... that should have been http://www.hd.net.nz/internet-services.html

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah I've had a *long* road with Slingshot, definitely getting over them. It's been 8 weeks now and they've still not got back to me since prior to the Christmas break, and that was after I'd been dealing with the Ops Manager there (You know you've gone up the food chain when the people have an @callplus email instead of @slingshot). I'm definitely a mixed bag of emotions about them, not the glowing reference I'd like to be able to give them to be frank. I'm considering VDSL2 with HD also. They ran a promo on Geekzone and it's had some good feedback. If I don't go with VDSL2 then I'll be going with their Naked DSL package. Slightly more expensive than Slingshot, but at least it's not oversubscribed... This was me last night, on a 10mbps line through Slingshot:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1759569279.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1759574643.png

Meant gaming was a *PITA* trying to play DotA2 :-(

SP8's
09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
WOW ... speed is about the same as customer service ... any slower and they'd be going backwards ... :D

Do hd.net do voip ... or is there any way to do it chill ??

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I spoke with HD about that when I rang the other day, apparently they're building some kick-ass system but they're still testing it all, should be coming shortly I'm told.
In the mean time, I've got my 2talk VoIP line :)

Catweazle
09-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Crikey, thats the speed i get when i've blown my cap.. (telecom)

Are you on the unlimited plan Chill?

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I have two lines with them. One is, one isn't.

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Figured now was the time to switch, just over the speeds.... so I signed up online for naked VDSL2 around 4ish, already got an install date back, freakin' stoaked! :D
Can't wait!!

lakewoodlady
09-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Its on Slingshot Home page.

This one? Not naked dsl http://www.slingshot.co.nz/

LL

mzee
10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Still no action from Orcon. The phone receives but will not send. Makes line engaged signal, so I am using Skype to phone out. Broadband currently at 14Mbps, but periodically drops to about .7Mbps until I reset the Modem. Very annoying when in the middle of updating a large website!

DeSade
10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Are you dealing with the Assurance team at Orcon or stuck at the Tier1 call centre guys?

JJJJJ
12-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Just out of curiosity. What is "Naked" DSL?
Over the past 20 years I have tried pretty well every ISP in the country. Most of them I rate between aweful and bloody aweful. Three years ago I switched to ORCON on Chills recomendation. As far as I am concerned they are the best by far.
For years I was told I was getting the fastest speed avaiable. 3500 KBPS. With orcon my download speed jumped to over 1200 KBPS, and it never varies.
On the rare occasions I have 'phoned their help desk I have never had to wait more than a minute to get help.And their staff actualy knows more than I do.
A couple of months ago my router started playing up. I 'phoned them and received a new one the following day.
The only complaint I have is their charges. I pay $128 a month for internet and telephone which includes free toll calls.
Still I'm more than happy with them.
Jack

gary67
12-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Naked DSL means you don't have a standard phone line anymore, the phone works over the broadband instead. We have Xnets's version called fusion and our normal house phone is plugged directly into the router. The only real advantages are it's slightly cheaper and we get caller ID without any extra cost and so far the service has been very good

Cptn Hotshot
13-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm with Slingshot. I have recently switched to them for phone service as well as broadband. I pay per month:
$40 for 50GB
$42 for phone line

I have used them for broadband and tolls for many years. Always had superb service.

Ditto

Agent_24
13-02-2012, 07:25 PM
All I can say is I've been with Telecom since day 1 and they haven't pissed me off enough to leave yet.

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Just switched to VDSL2 last night ... It's pretty awesome :D just sayin' !!

Just to expand on what gary67 said, naked DSL means it still goes down the physical line, but there's no "phone" signal when you plug your phone into it. Had a relative from my wifes side trying to hook up naked DSL at her place, she presumed it came in over "the air waves coz it doesn't need a phone line", and so her router was just sitting on the desk with power, not plugged in to the wall jack :p

linw
14-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I think it uses the 'ether', Chill. Perhaps her ether is a bit weak where she lives!

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah the best part is as she's explaining this to us, we're cracking up laughing, then she tells us it apparently took the Helpdesk at Vodafone an hour to realize she wasn't plugged in.... WTF!? I nearly died!

Cicero
14-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Over the past 20 years I have tried pretty well every ISP in the country. Most of them I rate between aweful and bloody aweful. Three years ago I switched to ORCON on Chills recomendation. As far as I am concerned they are the best by far.
For years I was told I was getting the fastest speed avaiable. 3500 KBPS. With orcon my download speed jumped to over 1200 KBPS, and it never varies.
On the rare occasions I have 'phoned their help desk I have never had to wait more than a minute to get help.And their staff actualy knows more than I do.
A couple of months ago my router started playing up. I 'phoned them and received a new one the following day.
The only complaint I have is their charges. I pay $128 a month for internet and telephone which includes free toll calls.
Still I'm more than happy with them.
Jack
I have same with Slingshot, $130 inlc 100 gig.

Agent_24
14-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah the best part is as she's explaining this to us, we're cracking up laughing, then she tells us it apparently took the Helpdesk at Vodafone an hour to realize she wasn't plugged in.... WTF!? I nearly died!

Hahahahaha!

I guess they just didn't think anyone would be that foolish...?

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Hahahahaha!

I guess they just didn't think anyone would be that foolish...?

Yeah we all had a good laugh. She did too, which was cool... I guess I can understand why she thought that, coz they'd told her "Naked DSL is broadband without the phone line"....

Agent_24
14-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Yeah I guess that does make sense...

mzee
14-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Still no action from Orcon. The phone receives but will not send. Makes line engaged signal, so I am using Skype to phone out. Broadband currently at 14Mbps, but periodically drops to about .7Mbps until I reset the Modem. Very annoying when in the middle of updating a large website!

I asked Orcon several times to send me another Genius Modem to try as I think the one we have is faulty. They have sent a Courier bag for me to return the second Modem with-- Snag is, I haven't received it yet! Then just to rub my nose in it they sent an email containing a link to a 'How are we doing" form --- I told them.

sam m
15-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Over the past 20 years I have tried pretty well every ISP in the country. Most of them I rate between aweful and bloody aweful. Three years ago I switched to ORCON on

What's the common denominator here?