PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to download different drivers for different types of flashdrives?

ktee
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Question from one with little knowledge.

Have an old comp running Windows98 (not connected to internet). Occasionally there is something I want off it so just copy to flash drive (ScanDisk) and transfer to newer comp running Vista. Alas flash drive has got corrupted; it came with little disk to install divers.
So bought new flash drive compatible with Windows 98, but came with no disk to load driver. Put new FD into old comp, wizard came up “This wizard will search for new driver for ADATA USB flash driver”, then 2 choices
1) Search for the best drivers for yr device (this one was pre selected) or 2) Display all the drivers in a specific location so you can select drive you want.
Tried option 1. “Windows will search for new drivers in its driver database on yr hard drive and in any of the following locations” Didn’t find anything. Tried option two, still nothing.

So tried to find out what the ScanDisk driver was called by looking under Device manager – is this it
IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play”? its the only Plug and Play one there.

So can I safely try that and if it doesn’t work should I try and find an update option
Or should I download a new driver for the ADATA.
Think I found it under http://www.adata-group.com/index.php?action=ss_main&page=ss_content_driver&lan=en

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
You dont have to install drivers for anything above XP (normally). Windows should load them. Only 98 and maybe XP may ask for drivers (if they do, the site should have them) scandisk is an exe file, not a device (I dont think it needs a driver). I dont think you can use scandisk from Win98 on Vista. They maybe different

pcuser42
08-02-2012, 07:42 PM
There are some generic USB drivers floating around the internet for Windows 98. Anything newer (including 2000 and ME) should have drivers already.

ktee
08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Sorry the old flash drive is SanDisk Cruzer (not scandisk, need new glasses) , would this be the driver
IO read data port for ISA Plug and Play”? its the only Plug and Play one there.

I was just thinking if I already had a driver for old flashdrive downloaded why wont it work with new flash drive
I dont know if above is generic or not, or if its even the driver

wainuitech
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Have a look HERE (http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/160/kw/Windows%2098%20drivers/related/1) Select which ever one you have, on the download page, from "OR, Select Product Type" Try USB Flash Drive, then your OS.

If you have a new flash drive, the site, under FAQ states:

Windows 98SE and previous Windows operating systems are NOT supported on any currently manufactured SanDisk USB drive.

Supported Operating Systems:
Windows XP SP2 or higher
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows Vista
Windows7

MAC OS 10.4 and Higher

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Select your Cruzer here. Then USB flash drives. then the OS (http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/driver-download-wizard). Did you select the right flash drive?? There's 7 Cruzer models

ktee
08-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Whoops (major error in my post) Ive got too many flash drives sitting on the desk,
The old one was a Adata too, NOT SANDISK but thanks for weblinks for those drivers.

I am a bit confused probably because I dont really understand about drivers.
I have a comp running Windows 98 (not SE) for which I have an ADATA "MY FLASH" flashdrive that came with a CD to install the driver (which I did). I have had it since 2008 and it had worked fine between Windows 98 and new computer running Vista, until a month ago until it got corrupted (or something) when using in Vista.
So I purchased a new flashdrive and the only one compatible with Windows 98 is the ADATA C906.
But the new one didn't come with a driver disk and doesn't seem to be able to use the driver installed for the "My Flash" FD.
So my question was do I have to install a new driver, why cant it use the driver installed for the old Adata "My Flash", is it because its probably not generic. Sorry but tis a learning curve when something doesn't work the same as previous one.
I'll just slink away from msg board and look later, how Embarrassing I can't even get the name right ..

PPp
09-02-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.mdgx.com/ Go to Windows 98 + ME •still• alive Campaign link