PDA

View Full Version : How to ID a motherboard - to find drivers

Strommer
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I have reinstalled WinXP on a PC, and need to install the motherboard drivers (etc), but I do not know what kind of mb it is - I cannot see any ID on the mb itself. Is there a program that can ID it? The original set up disks are not available.

FWIW - I managed to activate WinXP using the telephone option, as I cannot get internet connection without the drivers.

Hopefully I do not have to disassemble the PC in order to ID the mb. :p

jwil1
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Check this website, using the device IDs from Device Manager: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Or install Pcwizard or Speccy. Or run System information. Go to whatever device in device manager then go to the details tab. Change it to hardware ids. Copy and paste whats here into notepad / copy it to something thats connected to the net. Then paste it in Google or something

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:13 PM
OK Thanks guys. I was brain dead (aka frustrated n tired) when I posted, then woke up and decided to google the Q and found 'Everest' - put it on a stick and installed it, and have a big list of hardware ID's.

Now my problem is finding downloading and installing the correct drivers. Previously I have always used installation disks.
Have a look here (http://dell.driversdown.com/dell-drivers-list/s_614_1.shtml). The mb is a Dell Dimension 2400 (no need to groan - I know it is not the best but the PC will just be used for simple tasks).

My new Q is: Can I download a LAN driver (or whatever it is called) to get the PC on the internet, and then have the other drivers download via Windows Update or some other means, rather than go through the list shown on the page given in the above link?

[edit]
Bugger #$X!X!! that page of drivers is bogus - when I clicked to download a driver I got a spam page.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
If the case looks like this, the drivers are here (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19). WIndowsupdate MAY find them. Once, you install the NIC drivers. You cant install ANY NIC driver. It has to be the right one. Install the chipset drivers FIRST, then everything else (you may have to reboot after installing the chipset drivers). Dont go to any site to get the drivers etc. As you found out some are bogus. And will install crap on your system

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:20 PM
The Dell site is no help as apparently I need a 'service tag': http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Speedy, your link takes me to the Dell support page, not an image of the case.
When I click on any of the 3 "No" options, the "Continue" button does not work.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Link works here. The pic is on the top left, and OS and drivers are down the bottom. You may have to copy/paste what it shows under hardware ids for each device. Theres more than one driver for this Dell

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:24 PM
If the case looks like this, the drivers are here (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19). WIndowsupdate MAY find them. Once, you install the NIC drivers. You cant install ANY NIC driver. It has to be the right one. Install the chipset drivers FIRST, then everything else (you may have to reboot after installing the chipset drivers). Dont go to any site to get the drivers etc. As you found out some are bogus. And will install crap on your system

Speedy, your link takes me to the Dell support page, not an image of the case.
When I click on any of the 3 "No" options, the "Continue" button does not work.

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Link works here. The pic is on the top left, and OS and drivers are down the bottom. You may have to copy/paste what it shows under hardware ids for each device. Theres more than one driver for this Dell

???!!! I have tried that page (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection) in Chrome and FF and I cannot get it to work. :badpc:

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM

I do not see the pic at the top left - maybe you are logged in as a Dell user??

This is weird - I see a different page that only has a yes / no option (re: having a Service Tag)

Are you sure that you are on this page?? http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Found the Service Tag number (next to COA)....

[EDIT] ... and still it does not work - page stays frozen, both with FF and Chrome

edit again - I created a Dell account, signed in, but still no go. Maybe the site detects that I am not using the Dell product on the service tag?

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
You dont need a service tag. Go to dell.com click on technical support top right. Support for home users. Drivers and downloads. Click on NO (when it asks for service tag). 3rd option. Desktops, dimension then dimension 2400

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I dont have any Dell computers. So, I have no need to log into the Dell site

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
You dont need a service tag. Go to dell.com click on technical support top right. Support for home users. Drivers and downloads. Click on NO (when it asks for service tag). 3rd option. Desktops, dimension then dimension 2400

Speedy, I get as far as selecting the 3rd option but the "Continue" button stays gray and I cannot advance to the next page. :crying

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Sounds like something is screwed. Try another browser.

Strommer
08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Sounds like something is screwed. Try another browser.

I have tried Chrome, FF-10, and even IE ... nothing works. Weird!
Guess I will try our ASUS netbook...

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
It maybe an addon if you tried Chrome and FF. Kill them (except adblock if you use it ), then try

Strommer
08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
It maybe an addon if you tried Chrome and FF. Kill them (except adblock if you use it ), then try

Well I dunno. How to kill all addons? ... I rang a friend a few streets away - asked him to go to the Dell page - nothing happens for him either except that the page does try to load, but goes nowhere.

... think it would work in IE.... no addons with Chrome either.

Strommer
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
BTW, cannot find the ASUS netbook. SWMBO must have it.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Hmm odd.. Kill - disable the addons under tools / addons / extensions in FF

Strommer
08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Cannot see any such thing with my FF10. Can only open an AddOns link but that is only for getting new ones - nothing about disabling them.

Anyhow, IE and Chrome does not work so I doubt it is an AddOn problem.

Are you perhaps going through a proxy?

[ PM sent ]

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
This is what I get ( in the first link I posted). I dont use proxies for IE or Waterfox.

Strommer
08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
This is what I get ( in the first link I posted). I dont use proxies for IE or Waterfox.

Frustrating! I cannot get that page - it is frozen for me - and it does not work for my friend either. We are both with Slingshot - maybe that is the problem????!!

BTW, yes, the photo shows the Dell that I am working on.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Reply sent. in PM

Strommer
08-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Here ye, Here ye - let it be known that Speedy duly came to my rescue. :clap

:thanks Speedy :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2012, 11:47 PM
No probs there Strommer. :)

pctek
09-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Really, the best way is often to take the side off the case and look for the model number of the motherboard, then go directly to the manufacturers website.

Strommer
09-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Really, the best way is often to take the side off the case and look for the model number of the motherboard, then go directly to the manufacturers website.

Did that - could not be seen.

Post #1 : I cannot see any ID on the mb itself.

09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Did that - could not be seen.

Post #1 : I cannot see any ID on the mb itself.

A few of the more generic (read as el-cheapo) are hard to ID, no usefull markings on the board
Sometimes the bios no will give you a clue if you google it. It MIGHT show a bios no when you turn the thing on

wainuitech
09-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Just for reference -- dont bother with the service tags, most of the time they never work anyway. Its a lot easier going to the drivers page, Under NO - option 3 (Choose from a list of all Dell products) select desktop ( assuming its a desktop you are after) - select model ( dimension for example) Then the model you have
3564 and theres all the drivers.