PDA

View Full Version : new pc transfer software

Advocar
08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi my computer power supply failed and have decided to purchase a new pc Can i transfer old software xp to new pc using microsoft code on old pc as have no disks

Advocar
08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Just another thought. I purchased a laptop approx 18months ago and purchased legal copy of win 7. So could i legally use that copy? on new pc?

dugimodo
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Is it windows specifically you are trying to transfer? if it's an OEM version supplied with the hardware then you can't legally transfer it, and you would still need the disk anyway. As for windows 7, only if you haven't installed it on the laptop.

Advocar
09-02-2012, 06:20 AM
About 6 months ago I wanted to learn VB and downloaded free trial programs. Later on ms gave me 3 days to verifly my PC software. I went online and after 2-3 hrs managed to follow their long winded certification process to use my code on my dektop. This worked very well as i had a legal copy veriflied. In addition MS sent me updated xp bits etc and vb programming trial and ms. So i guess orginal owner may have had a cd but i dont have one. Dissapointed to read that because I have loaded it on to a new laptop via cd unable to load onto desktop. Even though I have legal copies.

CYaBro
09-02-2012, 07:51 AM
A windows operating system can only be installed on one machine.
If it came with the machine (there will be a license sticker in the case somewhere) then it can't be moved to another machine.
If you bought windows separately (you have a cd and it came in a box with the orange sticker with the license number on it) then you can move this to another machine if you remove it from the original machine first.

dugimodo
09-02-2012, 07:57 AM
You can download or borrow an XP CD as long as it matches the version on your PC, and the keys do allow reactivation of windows about once every 3-4 months generally although this is intended for reactivation on the same machine not a new one.

It does depend what version of windows you have what you can legally do, for example a full retail version can be uninstalled off an old PC and installed on a new one quite legitimately, the restriction being you are only allowed it to be on a single PC that you own. The OEM version though, which is what is supplied with new PC's or can be purchased with some hardware is generally a lot cheaper and is licensed to the hardware it comes with and therefore can not be transferred to a new PC.
There is also sometimes available a family license for 3 PC's which I hope they offer when windows 8 is released

Myself these days when I build a new PC I get a new copy of windows and sell the old machine with a legit copy of windows included, it adds value to the 2nd hand machine and makes it sell easier and saves me trying to migrate keys.

Also note I'm not a retailer so I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure thems the rules.

wainuitech
09-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I am a reseller and business owner -- What dugimodo posted above is basically spot on for what you legally can and cant do. :thumbs:

Advocar
12-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi guys thanks for info and I have purchased a new one complete with win 7 on a desktop. will start a new thread for help on new machine

Advocar
13-02-2012, 10:58 AM
What immaging software do you use?

gary67
13-02-2012, 11:28 AM
the built in one in Win7 is excellent otherwise buy Active@ it is far better than the free ones and does actually work