PDA

View Full Version : ethernet cable or wireless for my PC ?

hoanikai
07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Good Morning Folks,

I have recently moved house and am having trouble with various phone line jack points and therefore my broadband connection. Namely many of the jack points don't work except one in the lounge/dining room where I have the PC set up there for the moment.
I need to move the the computer to the office room as soon as possible as it is taking up space on the dining room table.
One option is to install a temporary ethernet cable connection to the only working jack point until I can have the jack points reinstated.
The other being, that this may be the time to convert the PC to wifi.
My feeling is that the ethernet cable option will be a quick fix whereas the wireless add-on to the PC would be more useful.
Who/what/where do I go or see re buying/installing such software?
Is it the sort of thing I can do myself or should I employ a professional?

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
All you have to do with wireless is plug it in (if its USB). Or install it (if its a card). Windows may or may install the drivers for you. Or install the drivers for wifi (from the CD or download them, from the site). To get it to work. Then configure it (dont use WEP, use WPA/WPA2). And give it a password

Lurking
07-02-2012, 08:51 AM
We had trouble with telephone jack-points around the house, our son an avionics expert aquired the proper wall junction box, normally illegal to ordinary folk, unless one paid New Zealand Post to install.

Have since installed cable broadband, gosh we have bright kids! daughter installed a router to connect the wife to the net.

Brother-in-law recommended wifi, he having been a computer manufaturer in Aussie. and now retired.

Lurking.

hoanikai
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
All you have to do with wireless is plug it in (if its USB). Or install it (if its a card).
I guess these options are readily available from the likes of Dick Smiths? I didn't know you could get a USB plug in type.
What are the pros and cons of each?

hoanikai
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
thanks Lurking...am doing some research and thinking the ethernet cable is not the way to go even for the short term.

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2012, 09:07 AM
USB saves you opening the case. There are no cons that I know of. (just as long as they work). I dont use wireless atm. I'll get a wireless modem / router first. The one I had, cuts me off on Telstra. So, I'm not using it

hoanikai
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Cheers Speedy,
Already have a Linksys wireless modem so will get down to Dick Smiths this morning.
Thanks for your help.

wainuitech
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Wireless is not that all cracked up. I have seen many times wireless give problems, some are -- the speed is not as good as a direct Ethernet cable, the further away from the router you are the lower the signal, depending on the location, items in the house can and do interfere or stop a connection. Transferring of large amounts of data is usually slower.

When the wireless craps out, you need to have a wired connection to access the router and fix it.

To Quote speedy, points in bold:
There are no cons that I know of. (just as long as they work). I dont use wireless atm. I'll get a wireless modem / router first. The one I had, cuts me off on Telstra. So, I'm not using it

One of our wireless connections is a bit problematic sometimes - if I'm in the lounge and close the hallway door, I lose the signal, even though the bar reading shows 3 out of 5, thats why I have had to put in a access point in the lounge as well, which is wired to the router.

Another example: I was at a persons place yesterday, their wireless and they had a Linskys modem/Router was about 40 Mtrs away from their lounge in a bedroom, the range was bad, only 2 bars on the connection, if you stepped outside the signal was lost - reason, the way the house was insulated was blocking it.

As you can see not all beer and skittles.;)

dugimodo
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
If broadband only works on one jackpoint it will almost definately be because the house wiring has a splitter in the ETP (external telecom white box) and it has dedicated that jackpoint to broadband. The ETP can easily be rewired in about 5 mins in most cases to dedicate any Jackpoint in the house to broadband. This also means you don't need to use plug in filters.

Wired is always better than wireless if it's possible, wireless is for convenience and connection to mobile devices but has inherent issues that will always make it slower and less dependable than a cable. In my setup even though I have a wireless router with good range I connect my 3 PC's up by cable and only use wireless for the TiVo and my smartphone, even then I think I'll buy a cheap 5 port switch so the TiVo can share a connection with the media PC (only one cat 5 cable to the lounge area is available).

Not to say wireless isn't a viable option, it generally works very well once set up. It's just not as good.

Nomad
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Wireless suits us as we only use the internet so that's plenty.
We don't really copy files around the place.

But ... our 54Mbit G Wifi goes at approx 20Mbit for one big single file. Our 100Mbit network cable goes at 80Mbit. We don't have a 1000Mbit router.

decibel
08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
If broadband only works on one jackpoint it will almost definately be because the house wiring has a splitter in the ETP (external telecom white box) and it has dedicated that jackpoint to broadband.....

+ 1