PDA

View Full Version : Removing Password Box at Startup

23-10-2001, 11:35 PM
How do I remove the box that request a password whenever I turn my computer on?
I've forgotten the password and have been continuing to use my computer by clicking on cancel.
Thanks in advance.

23-10-2001, 11:57 PM
By memory first just leave the password bit empty and click ok, then reboot and if it still comes up delete any *.pwl files in windows, (leave them in recycle bin just incase)

then when it comes up again leave password box empty and click ok then reboot and you shouldn't see it anymore.

24-10-2001, 12:22 AM
How to Stop Windows 95/98 Logon Prompt at Startup 1. Right-click Network Neighborhood, and then click Properties.

2. On the Configuration tab, click Windows Logon in the Primary Network Logon box, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click No.

4. In Control Panel, double-click Passwords.

5. Click the Change Passwords tab, click Change Windows Password, and then click OK.

6. In the Change Windows Password dialog box, type your current Windows password in the Old Password box. Leave the New Password and Confirm New Password boxes blank, click OK, and then click OK.

7. Click the User Profiles tab and verify that the 'All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings' option is selected. Click Close.

8. Shut down and then restart Windows 95/98.

9. If the above didn't work TweakUI may be causing this prob

24-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Quickest way I find is to go into Control Panel, double click 'Network'.
In the box 'The following network components are installed' select 'Microsoft Family Logon' and delete it. Reboot and your pesky logon box should be no more.
You may need to go back into Network and install a new client to enable you to access the internet etc. This is normally Client for Microsoft Networks. If the logon box re-appears after doing this, simply don't put a password in (just click OK - don't hit cancel) and it should disappear for ever.