PDA

View Full Version : Printer and Printer Ink

stingray68
05-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Can anyone explain why printer ink is so expensive? If you run out of ink, it make more sense to buy a new printer than new ink? That is not right to me.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Depends what the printer is. Brothers are worse. Their printers maybe cheap, but their ink is dear. And, because most of their printers use 4 carts

Slankydudl
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
well people need printer ink so make it expensive and make twice as much money... simple.

sahilcc7
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Same here, I have a MX350 (Canon) which I need ink for. I saw $45 for one colour and $35 for one black. Then saw on trade me the new exact printer for about $40.

At the moment I'm using refills, but it just failed on me yesterday, so had to go out and get a new cartridge. Warehouse had a deal - buy one get next one half price, but still very expensive. Might go out looking at an ink-economical printer if that even exists these days lol.

kahawai chaser
05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Ink involves a lot of technology and testing as maybe does the accompanying printer cartdidges, relative to their complimentary mediums (e.g. paper/cartonboard) and delivery hardware (i.e. PC printer or print machinery). I saw this when I tested inks for packaging/printing companies. Had to constantly switch suppliers, redo pricing, retest/develop testing etc in an attempt (or quest) to yield premium images for consumers (public). But do think that ink suppliers/manufactuers (e.g. HP) seem to have a inherently higher than necessary margins, like the petroluem, paint, and adhesive industry.

Slankydudl
05-02-2012, 11:11 PM
BS cartridge of ink cost less than 20c to make

Bobh
06-02-2012, 12:52 AM
In the days of dot matrix printers it did not cost too much to buy a ribbon but who wants to go back to dot matrix. I have bought a laser printer but have not yet had to replace the cartridges.

dugimodo
06-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Buy a new printer and throw the old one away, everyone on the planet do this until they get the message. Or buy cheap replacement inks even if they are not as good. It sucks but the only power we have is not to pay these prices.It's ridiculously overpriced, that's where the manufacturers make their money.

I buy cheap replacement cartridges but I don't print much and don't care about how accurate or long lasting the prints are. I do find the cheap inks seem to dry up fast and stop working when I leave them in the printer unused for a few months. But considering my printer has 6 different colour cartridges that retail for about $27 each I am never buying genuine cartridges and I'll stick to cheap imitations.
http://www.inkvenus.co.nz/shop/Compatible.html?id=yUSNYLT8&mv_pc=s for example sells the complete set of 6 cartridges for the same price as one of the genuine ones. I can't remember if I've used that particular site though but it seems like the one I remember.

Lawrence
06-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Been using Inkvenus carts for 6 months in a Epson R210 after reading good reviews

$4.60 against $25 for the Genuine carts is a no brainer and find there is no perceived difference in print quality

Some printers have differing prices at Inkvenus as some are cheaper than others

pctek
06-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Same here, I have a MX350 (Canon) which I need ink for. I saw $45 for one colour and $35 for one black.

http://www.ezyink.co.nz/

https://www.consumables.co.nz/default.asp

paulw
06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
BS cartridge of ink cost less than 20c to make

+1 for that. It's the biggest ripoff around next the NZ pricing of Steinlarger..

plod
06-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Ink involves a lot of technology and testing as maybe does the accompanying printer cartdidges, relative to their complimentary mediums (e.g. paper/cartonboard) and delivery hardware (i.e. PC printer or print machinery). I saw this when I tested inks for packaging/printing companies. Had to constantly switch suppliers, redo pricing, retest/develop testing etc in an attempt (or quest) to yield premium images for consumers (public). But do think that ink suppliers/manufactuers (e.g. HP) seem to have a inherently higher than necessary margins, like the petroluem, paint, and adhesive industry.Who did you do work for?

Paul.Cov
06-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Buy a new printer and throw the old one away, everyone on the planet do this until they get the message. Or buy cheap replacement inks even if they are not as good. It sucks but the only power we have is not to pay these prices.It's ridiculously overpriced, that's where the manufacturers make their money.

I buy cheap replacement cartridges but I don't print much and don't care about how accurate or long lasting the prints are. I do find the cheap inks seem to dry up fast and stop working when I leave them in the printer unused for a few months. But considering my printer has 6 different colour cartridges that retail for about $27 each I am never buying genuine cartridges and I'll stick to cheap imitations.
http://www.inkvenus.co.nz/shop/Compatible.html?id=yUSNYLT8&mv_pc=s for example sells the complete set of 6 cartridges for the same price as one of the genuine ones. I can't remember if I've used that particular site though but it seems like the one I remember.

+10 !!

I've been in a quiet rage about ink prices for ages.
I have a great old Canon Inkjet that takes inexpensive refils at a fraction of the Canon price.
Canon now, like many others are including a print head on the ink cartridge, as a disposable item, with the circuitry for the head also being a usage limiting device.

Interseting that they can make the ink, cartridge and print head all a disposable device, when to buy them individually, print heads retail in the hundreds, and each ink is $50 or so.
Inclusion of the print head on the ink tank is a very good scheme, but the price of the unit is still offensive.

I'd love to have a newer multifunction print/scan device, but am not making the move until I can determine a model that will work reliably on refills or will take clone tanks.

As for other brands... HP is diabolically overpriced for the ink, and Brother (lasers) have lousy reliability in the humidity where I am (grey pages covered in excess toner).

The strategy of buying all new hardware is partly stymied by them now only installing half-filled tanks in the kit you buy (inkjets and lasers).
Likewise, if you study what's available in the range of tanks your inkjet takes you'll likely find there's two different tank volumes available, at different prices.
The 'regular' tank is only half full. The bigger tank, while actually the same physical size is 'full'.

As far as environmental footprints are concerned, all brands are totally filthy, and are taking steps to maximise wastage in order to extract more of your dollars.

BBCmicro
06-02-2012, 08:19 PM
When my Brother laser ran out of toner, I was tempted to buy a new machine for $88. But someone told me it was much better value to buy a new cartridge at $107 (DSE special). The new cartridge would be good for 2500 pages. A new printer would do much less than that

johnd
06-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I find these people good:

www.consumables.co.nz/

woc
06-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I know a bit about ink, printers and refilling as I sell printer, refill ink cartridges, and sell after market ink.

These are the facts.

Printer are sold at almost cost. The profit is made by the companies in selling the ink.

The cost of the ink in a cartridge is less that 50 cents.

As a consumer you have a number of choices.

1: Buy original cartridges ( and get ripped off)
2: Refill the cartridges yourself - You can buy refill kits
3: Have someone else refill them.
4: Buy after market cartridges.

Canon multi ink cartridges have a build in print head so you have to reset the printer as they will always show up empty.
Its not really economic to refill the individual cartridges (in my opinion). The cost of after market cartridges should be around $15.00 or less.

In my opinion I would stick to either brother or canon and use multi cartridges, as the after market ones are readily available
Toner for laser printers is also available after market and about 50% of the cost of originals.

Hope the information helps

sahilcc7
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Buying after market canon cartridges off eBay won't work here because apparently canon region lock them.

Robin S_
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
I have have refilled my own cartridges for more than 12 years, using 3rd-party inks of several brands, and have never had a problem that I could attribute to that practice. For about the last 6 years or so I have used Calidad refill kits www.calidad.com.au which I think work out to about 1/3 of the price of Canon originals. Calidad supply a pretty good range of compatible cartridges. AFAIK Calidad stuff is not now commonly available in NZ - I get mine from www.precisiononline.co.nz (Auckland). For other centres try contacting Calidad sales.
I have bought the odd cartridge from Cartridge World, chosen because they are multinational and have been around for many years so must be doing something right.

Note, however, that using 3rd-party inks can be risky - Wainuitech has posted many reports about printers he has seen that have been sponged after being fed with such inks (probably el cheapos).

stingray68
07-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I now buy ink (Canon) from PB tech as these are cheap, about $10 cheaper than Noel Leeming and the others. I guess I will have to carry on buying ink as the printer is running well. Thanks for the reply.

paulw
07-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I now buy ink (Canon) from PB tech as these are cheap, about $10 cheaper than Noel Leeming and the others. I guess I will have to carry on buying ink as the printer is running well. Thanks for the reply.

By ink are you saying bulk ink or new Canon ink carts??

SP8's
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
There's always this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system) as an alternative ... heard they're bloody amazing ... :D

Nomad
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
If you go to cartridge world, they are cheaper but the quality is not the same.. even b/w toner - the blackness is not the same and less professional.

Inkjet uses more than lasers. We have never had a inkjet other than a printer when i travelled away for study.
The cheaper inkjets uses all in one cartridge for colours. When one ink is depleted but not the others, the whole thing needs to be replace so ....

I have a injket A3 that is for photography. Consumables are $$$ here. I import them overseas and they cost approx half price - either the inks or the photo paper - this is comparing to Consumables Company but they are pretty good in terms of NZ prices go ...

dugimodo
07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
There's always this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_ink_system) as an alternative ... heard they're bloody amazing ... :D

If by amazing you mean amazingly bad then sure. The aftermarket ones you can buy appear to be very hit and miss for success when you read up on the forums.
I bought one myself for my Epson Multifunction, and recently threw the whole thing away (printer included and fully functional) with 90% of the ink unsused.
It's tricky to fit, prone to problems if you don't fit it perfectly, makes the printer a problem to move, has been known to spew excess ink all over everything, requires (at least in my case) physical modifications to the cartridge assembly, can jam the printer if everything isn't 100% right, and basically is a hassle.

Don't misunderstand, I got mine working well after some mucking about and it is very cheap on a price per page basis. I just don't think it's worth the hassle over cheap replacement cartridges if they are available for your printer.

When I first installed it the printer used to jam and make horrendous noises at random and to fix it I had to remove the plastic arm that retains the normal print cartridges, which isn't designed to be removed. Then when I got it working perfectly I had to move it a few feet across the room, which stopped two of the ink colours from flowing and I had to get the supplied syringe and suck the air out of the lines, very messy. Whenever I went to print something I would spend a few minutes getting the printer working first.

It was a low specced Epson multifunction printer a few years old, throwing it away and buying a newer better model and a full set of cartridges is cheaper than getting cartridges for the old model. For now I'm just using my photo printer that I had as well with inkvenus cartridges, waiting until I need to scan something or this printer runs out of ink before replacing the old one.

07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Ive heard some horror stories about some of the continuous ink systems.....dumping the ink all over the floor etc

Many aftermarket ink carts are unreliable & poor quality
But I still use aftermarket ink carts, 1/5 of the price so I dont mind if a few fail on me.
The company I used to work for was importing NEW generic ink carts for less than 50c each !!!

Bobh
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
One of the things I found wrong with Inkjet printers was that when you have not used it for a week the ink dries up and you have to go through a cleaning process. This tends to use up or waste ink. Using an Inkjet printer for printing addresses on envelopes can be dicey especially if the postie gets caught in a shower of rain as the ink can be washed off.

I am happy with my new laser printer which is working well. I am not looking forward to having to fork out a few hundred dollars to replace the toner. I do however think that in the long run that it will be cheaper to run than an Inkjet printer.

SP8's
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Yep ... should have used the "sarcastic" smiley ... they're bloody amazing at not working, leaking ink everywhere and destroying printers. Although, to be quite honest, I never tried one personally ... the information provided by PF1 members, TV programs like Fair Go and Consumer reports were enough to give hints that they may not actually be effective as made out by the manufacturer / distributor.

PeterQ
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I use a HP Officjet Pro L7380 all in one injet which has served me well for 3 years and is very economical on ink which i buy at PB Tech, not as good as a laser but close

Agent_24
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
In the days of dot matrix printers it did not cost too much to buy a ribbon but who wants to go back to dot matrix. I have bought a laser printer but have not yet had to replace the cartridges.

I wouldn't mind an old Dot-matrix printer for a laugh. The looks I'd get while the printer screeches would be priceless! :lol:

Laser printers generally have much bigger cartridges than inkjet, and they also have a much bigger price.

You may find when you need to get a new cartridge that the price will make you want to have a lie down. It certainly did for me. Luckily I was able to get a cartridge on eBay for *only* $150.

Bobh
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I still have a dot matrix printer stored in a container. It is not a priority of mine to find. I can remember how the noise could be heard around the neighbourhood.

I do expect to pay more for laser cartridges but I expect them to last a longer time and be cheaper in the long run.

Paul.Cov
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm still stuck with a dot matrix printer at work. It's right by the phones, so it's squealing in the background while folks are dealing with clients. Very bad form! But I've learnt never to expect deep thought or common sense from the various departments that have influence over these things at work.

I'd also like to condemn the CISS (continuous ink supply systems). My one foray into them was just disaster. Black ink constantly dripping, cyan ink constantly blocking the jets. Waste of time and money.

Have always been happy with the regular aftermarket inks, and was very happy with Calidad, however it's disappeared from the local stores (probably due to some influence from Brother, Canon, HP, Epson).

Robin S_
07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
For anyone interested in Calidad products - Calidad is owned by Pelikan Inks which also owned the Esselte (? chain) which distributed Calidad in NZ. Esselte were closed a couple of years ago and Calidad representation in NZ became sporadic. Last year Office Products Depot's Avondale Rd branch (contact Yvonne) apparently regularly ordered directly from Calidad (but didn't stock the refill kits I wanted).Their prices were quite good. OPD's head office is 0800 633 423, website http://www.opd.co.nz. Other branches may stock, or be prepared to get, Calidad products. For anyone really keen Nicholas Kaiko at Calidad head office was (? still is) their NZ rep and was very helpful when I was trying to sniff out NZ sources.

FWIW - my sister, for many years, used (and probably still does) cartridges from Ink Post in Palmerston North and was very happy with their products and service.

Robin S_
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Update to Calidad supplies. Have received a mailbox flier this morning from OfficeMax who are running a promotion on Calidad inks. It appears that the chain is now a major stockist.

I am not pushing a devious barrow here, but mentioned above that I have been happily using their products for years and Paul.Cov (above) was also happy with them.

Agent_24
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I still have a dot matrix printer stored in a container. It is not a priority of mine to find. I can remember how the noise could be heard around the neighbourhood.

I do expect to pay more for laser cartridges but I expect them to last a longer time and be cheaper in the long run.

I found one once on the side of the road when I was a kid and pulled it to bits. I still have the stepper motors and a few other parts. Wish I'd kept it intact now :p

As I recall the noise produced if you were (stupid?) enough to print graphics was almost endless...

I don't know how expensive your toner is but it's probably cheaper than mine. RRP for the biggest toner cartridge for my printer is about $800 NZ :horrified