PDA

View Full Version : PC has a black screen and will not boot up.

MarcusTso
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi there.

This morning I have been playing a fair amount of online games and when I had finished, I went to press the Sleep button (keyboard hotkey), my PC monitor turned black as if it was powered off but all of my fans kept running continuously at a faster than usual speed. So I then turned of my PC by switching it off at the back where the PSU was because the normal power button did not work. I then waited a few minutes and turned my PC back on, only to find the same problem - the black screen and the continuous fans running. I rebooted my PC several times but nothing had changed. I made sure that my components inside the PC are all positioned properly (not 100% sure im right or not) and I also cleaned out all the dust. I tried plugging my monitor into both my video card and the motherboard, and I did the same thing with another monitor - the same problem appered.

Im running out of ideas, help please.

Windows 7 64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT9600 video card, ASUS motherboard, 4GB RAM, Intel Core2Duo 2.88GHz Processor, 500GB HDD, Vantec ION2 VAN-520C 520W PSU, 2 years old, no problems like this encounter until today.

Thank you.

Paul.Cov
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Most monitors these days will put up a brief text message along the lines of "No Input Signal" or "Check Signal Cable" if the computer itself is not outputing a signal.

Have you seen any of these responses from your monitor?

What happens if you turn the monitor off, then on again? Anything at all on screen?

Are there any lights on the monitor to indivate its power status?
What happens if you press the Menu button for the monitor?

Have you checked the other (wall plug) end of the power cables for the monitor are snug and turned on?

Sure, the monitor is not likely your problem, but we need to rule out failure of it first.

Any Beep from the computer when you turn off and then restore power?

Agent_24
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Since you said you tried your monitor on the motherboard instead of video card, I assume you have a basic video card integrated.

Once you verify your monitor is working, try removing your GeForce 9 and plugging the monitor into the onboard video and seeing what happens then.

MarcusTso
04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
One of the monitors says 'No Input Signal'.

When I turn the monitor off and back on, the same thing shows up.

Blue means that the monitor is on and working. Orange means its asleep or not working - orange is displayed.

I press menu, brightness, DVI (thingy), s/A and nothing happens. Only the power on/off works.

I've checked all cables, for my monitor, PC, speakers etc that they are plugged in.

Theres no 'Beep' noise. Only the loud roaring from the fans :waughh:

MarcusTso
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Okay, I removed my graphics card and plugged my monitor into my onboard video, as a result the problem still remains, but it is much less quieter :)

wainuitech
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Try this -- Turn off the PC, and pull out the power plug from the PC or the wall. DONT just turn off the power, you have to completely remove the plug. Leave it for about 15-30 minutes then plug it back in and see if it powers up normally.

Over the last month I have seen at least 5 PC's with this problem, leaving the power plugged in, even if its turned off at the wall doesn't do any good, removing the plug completely did, and they started up normally afterwards.

MarcusTso
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I have just finished plugging out the power plug from the wall and waiting 20 minutes before turning it back on, still no luck and I did this several times.

dugimodo
05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Well Wainui beat me to my first Idea, but as that didn't work maybe it's time to do a BIOS reset. Check the motherboard manual there will be a link you can move to reset the BIOS, or remove the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in.
Bear in mind if there have been any changes made from default you will have to go into the BIOS and reset them, things like hdd boot order for example so if you are not confident with this it may be time to get someone to look at it that is.

Maybe before you do that, have you unplugged the monitor(s) for a few minutes like you did for the PC? perhaps the system told the monitor to standby and isn't telling it to wake up?

By the way if the power button doesn't work you normally just hold it in for 4 seconds to force a power down which is slightly better than switching it off at the back, or you could hit the reset button to force a reboot.

Agent_24
05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Might also want to check that the BIOS battery isn't flat.

Paul.Cov
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
There was a suggestion in an earlier post that the Start button hadn't been functional.

It might be worth tracing the leads from the button to the two pins on the motherboard, and briefly shorting them out (with power applied to the computer), just to rule out a bunch of failed soft starts from a sleep state.

Lets rule out some other traps. If you're using a wireless keyboard, try placing some fresh batteries in it and trying again. Particularly, try whatever key you used to use to wake the computer.

If your original setup was with the monitor attached to the port on the gaming video card, then put the card back into the same slot, and reconnect it as before... you BIOS is likely trying to send all output in that direction.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
This sound like your prob?? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155053). Some Nvidia drivers (by the looks of it). also caused a "black screen of death" depending on the version of the driver you installed