PDA

View Full Version : The next button on the right: Press F2

23-10-2001, 10:13 PM
I am currently working on an addition to my site - press f2. I will have to switch to a paid service, as geocities does not allow .nsf extensions. Anyway, I have a few questions:

Are there any copyright issues with using some of pressf1's code? I was going to use pressf1's base code and 'improve' it for my use. Is this legal?

Files - I have downloaded pcwpressf1.nsf, but are there any more files? The code seems to indicate that it is self-contained. And what about pcwpressf1.nsf/main!openform???

Will I get many hits? F2 is generally not the key you press for help...but maybe I could use the forum for sumething else?

23-10-2001, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I'd check the site out. If ya look on the net there are a lot of sites on how to do bulletin board sites. tweak'e had mentioned in an earlier post that he would like to see a YABB board being used so that might be a possibility. I don't think you'd be able to just copy the pressf1 code I'd email first and ask.

Good Luck
JM

PS. Another idea
The next button on the left: Press Esc

24-10-2001, 12:24 AM
yabb is way better.

http://yabb.xnull.com/

24-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Copying their code is considered to be stealing.

If you going to use someone elses code, then get their permission first and also give them credit on your page.

24-10-2001, 10:45 AM
Sorry our code is copyright. You cannot use it. Also you haven't actually downloaded pcwpressf1.nsf - just a page. The actual code is a Lotus Domino database (which you cannot download) and you couldn't run it unless you have it sitting on a Domino web server.

As the other posters have pointed out - there is plenty of free forum software available out there, and there are a few really good packages.

Bruce Buckman
Manager Web Development
IDG Communications Ltd