PDA

View Full Version : Wild Westport

Twelvevolts
03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Westport Axe attack (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10783246)

We here about taking an axe to jobs, but here is a case of taking an axe to a car.

The twist is though that it turns out his son is driving the car and it is stolen.

Wild west stuff - Westport remains one of the great New Zealand destinations, love the place.

PS - Ah damn it happened in Christchurch but the guy is from Karamea. Do we know anyone from Karamea??

gary67
03-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Yes we do karameadave is a member here

GameJunkie
03-02-2012, 09:28 PM
maybe it was him??

Twelvevolts
03-02-2012, 11:02 PM
maybe it was him?? You guys catch on quick . . . . . . . but I hope not.

Bobh
03-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I spent a few years living in a small village just north of Westport when I was younger. Coasters like having a few beers now and again. I never experienced this sort of behaviour. Must have been an outsider to behave like this.

prefect
04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I spent a few years living in a small village just north of Westport when I was younger. Coasters like having a few beers now and again. I never experienced this sort of behaviour. Must have been an outsider to behave like this.
Look at the name of the crook. To be classified as a local or Coaster you need a minimum lineage back to your great grand parents being born on the coast on both sides of the family.
Anyone else is an import or a coaster wannabe like this filthy scum crook and always will be.
Occasionally one of the locals will get pissed and do something stupid, run amok so to speak. Or even go mad without being pissed occasionally.
New cops posted to the area in the old days were taught not to mess around with the bar hours. Otherwise the verandas of their houses were blown off as a warning, as you do.

Bobh
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I remember the unofficial bar hours. When ten o'clock came along they would merely close the curtains and the barman would carry on serving. As long as discretion was used the Police would stay away.

SP8's
04-02-2012, 09:37 AM
New cops posted to the area in the old days were taught not to mess around with the bar hours.

Went for a trip down the coast MANY years ago with a coaster friend ... stopped into the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a beer, way before Sunday trading was legal, and asked him - "don't you ever have problems with the police?" ... his reply ... No ... That big guy standing at the end of the bar is the local Sergeant ... :eek: and here I was only 17 when the minimum age was 21 I think ...

Bobh
04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
A few years ago during the late 1960s I was home on leave from the Army and was drinking in the local pub on a Sunday. You could see cars coming over the overhead bridge from the pub window. One of the patrons observed a Police car from Westport coming over the bridge and yelled out, "Cops". There was an immediate scurry out the back and those who knew the drill disappeared. I was caught behind an old guy with a walking stick who had trouble running. I could not get past him and ended up going into the kitchen where there was a huge pile of dishes and soapy water in the sink. I proceeded to wash the dishes pretending to be the dish washer and not a villainous after hours drinker.

My ruse did not work and I was lined up along with six other older guys who were caught inside. The Police Sergeant looked at each of us in turn. I remember thinking that I would be ok and he would tell the older men off for leading a young fellow like me astray. The Sergeant looked at me and said, "I can understand why these men are still here but you should have been running and hiding in the bushes like the others". We were all told to go home.

prefect
04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Went for a trip down the coast MANY years ago with a coaster friend ... stopped into the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a beer, way before Sunday trading was legal, and asked him - "don't you ever have problems with the police?" ... his reply ... No ... That big guy standing at the end of the bar is the local Sergeant ... :eek: and here I was only 17 when the minimum age was 21 I think ...
lol :)

prefect
04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
lol :)

pctek
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
To be classified as a local or Coaster you need a minimum lineage back to your great grand parents being born on the coast on both sides of the family.

Sigh.
Only great-grandparents then? How about great-great-great-great-grandparents only.

gary67
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Sigh.
Only great-grandparents then? How about great-great-great-great-grandparents only.

wouldn't that make you a Moriori?

fred_fish
04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I though a pair of gumboots and an ignorant disposition were the only qualification.

ManUFan
06-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I though a pair of gumboots and an ignorant disposition were the only qualification.

Let me guess... You are not a Coaster (or am I ignorant!). With your attitude don't bother coming to the Coast as you probably wouldn't enjoy the great hospitality of people (aka strangers) who actually give you the time of day. And the best scenery in the country. Are you related to Helen Clarke?:yuck:

fred_fish
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Let me guess... You are not a Coaster (or am I ignorant!). With your attitude don't bother coming to the Coast as you probably wouldn't enjoy the great hospitality of people (aka strangers) who actually give you the time of day. And the best scenery in the country. Are you related to Helen Clarke?:yuck:

:lol:

Note to self: use more smileys...

Actually I spend a lot of time and have some good friends on the coast, and even you must admit that there is a portion of the resident population that fits the description (usually the ones going on about REAL coasters), not that that is an entirely bad thing. Definitely part of the charm that makes it the awesome place that it is.

Twelvevolts
06-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Just a technicality perhaps - but when I lived in Greymouth they didn't consider anyone from Buller a Coaster as they take the Nelson holiday. I first went in the Rapahoe bar on a Sunday under West Coast drinking rules - first person I ran into was the Greymouth mayor. Some of the stories I remember about West Coast law enforcement couldn't really happen anywhere else - let's just say that the Judges used to queue up to go to Whataroa Court and some of the tall stories you heard there stayed with you for life. Only place I know where everyone in Court went to the pub for the lunch time adjourment.

Bobh
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Believe me I lived in the Buller for about five years as a young fellow. Even though we were part of the Nelson province we considered ourselves to be Westcoasters.