PDA

View Full Version : Win XP home or professional?

23-10-2001, 10:08 PM
Just wondering how many people are upgrading to Win XP and whether they're going with Home or Professional?
I read in NZ PC World that they reckoned the Home version is probably not up to it for most home users.

JM

23-10-2001, 10:58 PM
I'm upgrading to XP Home... mainly cause I want it to be easy enough for my wife to use... although if I hear enough reports about Pro I might switch...

24-10-2001, 12:17 AM
Why are you upgrading?
Is it just so you can say you have the latest OS?
Why not wait for a few weeks and let others find out what it goes like, and then make an informed decision?
Most reports I have read say that XP is very resource hungry and therefore slower than W98/W2K, but seems to be more stable.

B O

24-10-2001, 08:01 AM
WindowsXP Home is now easier to use than Professional, it just has less features (and less $$$). You won't have
IIS, or the ability to give other users of XP help, you will only be able to request help (via assistance app), Only one processor, one monitor, and a few other things.

24-10-2001, 08:56 AM
Gosh no! :) I'm upgrading because the company requires it - the software we're using won't run on Win ME.

24-10-2001, 02:51 PM
Unless you absolutely have to upgrade for business reasons, I'd stick with your old OS for a while. I didn't go near ME until 12 months after it's launch. Personally, I'm planning to see if I can do without XP. I tend to yank stuff in and out of my PC on a regular basis and the Activation scheme concerns me. I belive I should have the freedom to chnage my PCs configuration without it potentially killing my OS and requiring me to - essentially - get approval from MS before I can run it again. It pains me to pass up what by all accounts, is the most stable OS MS has yet produced, but it has significant downsides.