PDA

View Full Version : Of interest to Christchurch planners?

Scouse
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Street layout.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094939/Britains-longest-clutter-free-street-unveiled-make-things-SAFER.html

Iantech
02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Interesting, it will keep cars away at least as not many will want to crawl along at 20Mph. Other roads around it will also be more conjested as cars/service vehicles etc try and avoid this one. Might be the pedestrian solution to this street as less vehicles will mean fewer accidents but it just shifts the traffic elsewhere so looking at the bigger picture, I dont think it gains alot. The winners are the Chinese from the sale of 10,000 ton of granite :D

Paul.Cov
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
"In a similar vein, studies have shown that when traffic lights are removed from crossings, traffic flows more freely and efficiently because drivers take more care, he said."

I can site an example supporting this.

The best trip I ever had into town (morning rush hour) was when the power was out and all the traffic lights were dead.

Intersections that would normally have 20m of cars stopped were empty! EMPTY!

Allowing motorists to move when the road was clear worked far better than stopping each column of vehicles to allow another channel of vehicles to move.

Sure, there will be times and situations when this is not ideal, but it clearly showed that there are situations when an intersection with 4 Give Way signs can be far more effective than $40,000 of traffic lights. Loads less maintenance cost as well!