PDA

View Full Version : HDMI woes

dugimodo
31-01-2012, 10:57 PM
OK a bit of a shot in the dark but maybe someone has a solution.

I recently replaced my aging sony 5.1 receiver with an new Onkyo TX-NR509 which I'm am vey happy with, except for one thing. The Media centre PC will not work through the HDMI inputs no matter what I do, I have to connect directly to the TV.
Initially when I hooked it up the PC started Bluescreening right at the windows splash screen and refused to boot. A bios and driver update fixed the crash but still it will not display on the TV when connected through the Amp.

It seems to me like a handshaking problem - the PC needs to detect the screen before setting a resolution, and the AMP will only pass through HD when it detects it on the input, or something like that. Even setting the input on the amp to "through" doesn't work. I see the POST screens and the beginning of the splash screen then the screen goes blue, which the manual tells me will happen if the PC isn't set to 720 or 1080 .. connecting directly, setting the resolution, then hooking to the amp, doesn't work either. The display always mucked around a bit at boot up when connected directly, but does work once booted.

The graphics is intel HD graphics using an asus P8H67-l motherboard with a pentium G620 cpu. I would consider a cheap graphics card if I knew it would fix the problem, but unless someone out there has done it there's no way to know. Also it would have to support 5.1 surround over HDMI or it would be a step backwards. My current work-around which is pretty good is to use a spare input on the TV and feed the sound optically to the amp but it's frustrating to not be able to use the HDMI.

Trev
01-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Good choice of amp. I have a Onkyo TX-SR608 which I have had for a year. I'm very happy with it. Sorry I cannot help you with your problem.
:)

linw
01-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Research EDID data to see whether that could be an issue.

Really frustrating problem especially as you don't find these things till after you have plonked down the dough.

I have a new 11.6: HP netbook linked to my Plasma TV via HDMI but I can't get rid of overscan. My TV menu settings don't include dot by dot or similar setting.

Good luck.

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Update the firmware (from 15/12/2011), on the TX-NR509. Looks like it can be updated as well. See if that fixes it

fred_fish
01-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Really frustrating problem especially as you don't find these things till after you have plonked down the dough.
Drag your PC into the shop to try it out, ask for a trial period. :)

If you state when you are buying that you want it to work with your other equipment, they sell it to you, and it doesn't, then it is not fit for purpose and should be returnable under the CGA.

dugimodo
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Tried the firmware update, thanks for the suggestion speedy. Unfortunately it didn't help, I guess I just have to stick with a direct connection :( I looked for a TV firmware update a well but sony have nothing (Bravia KDL-46V4000).
On the bright side I discovered the Amp will play my lossless WMA files off a USB stick perfectly, quite a nice and unexpected feature (I figured MP3 and standard WMA would be it).

Trev
01-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm still finding new things on mine after 1 year. Took me about 6 weeks to get it sounding to my liking. Very complex piece of kit alot of differant settings.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Sounds like it maybe a TV fault. Here's the same prob (when plugged into an amp) (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56655-4-hdmi-connectivity-promlems). And it does sounds like its a handshake prob (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=10037)

Agent_24
01-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I blame HDCP

Should have used plain DVI

dugimodo
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
The PC has DVI so I could use a DVI to HDMI cable, think I have one so I'll give it a whirl. My unsderstanding though was the only difference between DVI and HDMI was the connector and the audio signal added to HDMI. The downside is I would still have to connect the Audio via optical to the receiver and one of the attractions of the new setup was reducing cable clutter (old amp didn't have HDMI so there were 3 cables to the TV and 3 to the receiver for audio). I was kinda hoping All I would need is power and one HDMI lead to the TV but it's not looking likely so far.

Also the media PC has a blu-ray drive so it would be nice if it was HDCP compliant.

Agent_24
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
My unsderstanding though was the only difference between DVI and HDMI was the connector and the audio signal added to HDMI.

Not entirely, HDMI also adds HDCP rubbish but supports higher bandwidths than single-link DVI (though probably not in a way you would notice)

dugimodo
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Well update time. I swapped the TV with my 22" Samsung and had the same problem, so I lugged the gaming PC into the lounge and hooked it up - worked fine ( except the screen would need adjusting to fit properly but I didn't bother).
So it looks like it's a problem at the PC end of things, although it does work ok with the TV so the receiver might be partly to blame also. Kicking myself right now because I recently sold 2 GTX460's and I know they fitted into the media case (only one not both :)).

So, next question. Anyone care to recommend a good GPU for home theatre use with HDMI out and support for Blu-ray audio over HDMI as well ? Not entirely sure it's worth it just to get rid of one cable but I'm considering it.

dugimodo
10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Problem all sorted, purchased an Asus HD6450 graphics card which works flawlessly through the receiver regardless of resolution. So much for using onboard graphics in my media centre but otherwise happy.

linw
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
How did you sort out overscan?

dugimodo
11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I think the catalyst control centre has options to adjust for overscan, but it didn't come up - after installing the card and drivers and rebooting the screen was perfectly sized & aligned by default. The gaming machine did seem to have an overscan problem with it's GTX580 but I don't seriously expect to connect that up to the TV ordinarily. Both the new HD 6450 and the integrated intel HD graphics seem to work perfectly with my TV, the integrated graphics just don't play nice with the receiver in the middle.

I'm deliberately avoiding gaming capabilities in the media PC as I know I would hardly use it so it's a waste of money, if I change my mind I know it has enough power and cooling to handle a GTX460 as I tested it before selling my old cards so I could always add a better card if I change my mind.

Also interesting to note, blu-ray playback with the new graphics card uses less that 8% cpu and it only has a pentium G620 and DTS streams through the HDMI port perfectly. Pretty happy with this card so far with the limited testing I've done.

linw
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Interesting that you don't get overscan with the Intel integrated graphics as I do with my Netbook. Maybe your TV is smarter than mine and drops overscan itself.

Cheers.