PDA

View Full Version : Network problem with Virtural PC on Win7

Jeff
26-01-2012, 01:51 PM
I am having a problem getting the Virtural PC, running Win XP, on my laptop which is running Win7 Pro, to see other PCs and printers on a network.
When I set it to DHCP the Win 7 part set up correctly, but the Vitural PC sets up on a different range.

Can someone please explain whats happening and how I can get it to work.

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Did you install XP mode?? Which is a later version of Virtual PC?

Jeff
26-01-2012, 03:46 PM
It came with the Laptop. Looks like it is part of Win7 Pro.

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Same here, if I change XP mode to the same ip range (10.1.1.xx) as Win7, it wont load any sites. XP mode will only load sites, if the ip range stays on 192.168.x.

I cant get any printers either (dont know if its because the drivers havent been installed for the printer in XP mode). And I cant see see the other networked PC. Might try and add the other PC here, since its on now, I'll soon find out.

Or it maybe, because the ip ranges are different. Only access I get is through My computer. It shows all the folders on the main PC (Win7). So, I can copy between XP mode, and the Win7 folders. You could try adding a network place under my network places in XP mode. You may have to make sure the computers are in the same workgroup

Someone may have installed XP mode / Virtual PC prior to you buying the laptop. Its not part of Win7

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Scratch that, go to tools / settings in XP mode and go to the networking option. Change adapter 1 to the same NIC as the host PC (not the Intel NIC XP mode uses). Then it'll change the ip address (to the same ip range Win7 uses (in my case 10.1.1.x). Restart XP mode after. The networked PC here now appears in XP mode (I went to add a network place and added it). Remember to share A folder on the other PC's as well (dont share the whole hdd)

Jeff
27-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that. It worked.

:banana

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Sweet, good to hear its up and running :)