PDA

View Full Version : Using Programs Under Win7 64-bit

MasterofZack
25-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I am currently trying to play some games on a 64-bit system and I have a problem in not being able to see a mouse cursor on the menu screen on some of them. I can navigate the menus in Total War: Rome no problem; but whenever I try to play Never Winter Nights II, I have the frustrating experience of not being able to see what I'm doing! Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I find it strange that I can navigate the menus of some of them but not others so I'm guessing that it has nothing to do with the fact that these are most likely 32-bit programs operating under a 64-bit OS! Or is it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

dugimodo
25-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Weird, have you got up to date Video drivers? I have played NWN2 under 64 bit no problems so it's not an OS thing.

MasterofZack
25-01-2012, 12:21 PM
It was only a week ago that I started installing things on my new machine. I have an MSI Lightning 5870; maybe I should look up the MSI website for the drivers for that particular card. But, why would the game otherwise work, but not display a mouse cursor?

MasterofZack
25-01-2012, 12:44 PM
So what is your preferred character class dugimodo? The game I have installed is the "Gold" version that includes, I believe, the Mask of the Betrayer expansion pack. Or was it the Storm of Zehir? I forget because I have both of them. Just need to download the Mysteries of Westgate.

pcuser42
25-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I had this issue once upon a time as well, I fixed it by turning off cursor trails. :stare:

dugimodo
25-01-2012, 01:54 PM
If you want to get the latest drivers go to the chipset manufacturers website, www.amd.com (for ATI which I think yours is) or www.nvidia.com.

As for preferred class, well I forget. I've never really made it that far into the game. I loved the original and both expansions but just seemed to lose interest after a while with NWN2. I played as a basic fighter last attempt, it's easiest to play for me but mostly I prefer casters as I love doing massive damage to whole groups of enemies.
I had an awesome Dwarven defender in the 2nd expansion of Neverwinter nights.

MasterofZack
25-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks pcuser42 for the tip. It just so happens that I had turned on mouse cursor trails as I thought that as long as they're not too long that it would look neat (at least when using MS programs). When I get home I'll try it as I'm not currently visiting these forums @ home.