PDA

View Full Version : Formatting HD for fresh install ... problems with partitions ... help appreciated

SP8's
25-01-2012, 09:48 AM
OK ... Toshiba M801 Lappy - NOT English version and having problems reading so using the likes of Paretition manager so I can understand it. The HD has been played around with making it a mess and at the moment has the following partitions -

There are 4 Partitions on a 150GB HD
*: Toshiba System NFTS 1.46GB
*: Unallocated 60MB ... Yes MB
C: 73.25GB
*: Unallocated 74.28GB

OS is Vista ... :yuck:

The Unallocated space was created by me using Easeus Partition Manager so that I could resize C drive into one 150GB minus the TS Partition and reformat prior to reinstall. Partition manager keeps coming up with error message - "Found error on operating system ... Please fix and try again" I know there is a problem on the OS ... that's what I'm trying to do a fresh install ! I have made backup CD's.

Has anyone got a simple method to reformat the HD back to original 150GB without having to mess around with partitions ... I have done this before a long ago on an English language machine, however I haven't ever had that error message come up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Chuck the vista cd in, then delete the partitions / recreate them (if you want more than 1 / format / reinstall the OS)

SP8's
25-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks Speedy

Snorkbox
25-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Make sure you make a C: drive and any other partitions you make should be extended rather than primary unless you want to dual boot.

Try not to delete the Tosh 1.46 Gig partitition as this will be the recovery partition.

SP8's
25-01-2012, 10:16 AM
No ... don't want dual boot Snork. The problem was it wouldn't let me extend C: because of an error ... I've chucked the recovery CD in and 12% of something's happening ... looks like the Chinese menu down at the take-away ... :lol: ... let you know the outcome later !

Snorkbox
25-01-2012, 10:19 AM
OK.