PDA

View Full Version : Random restarting! How to narrow down the problem?!

kjvchris
24-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi there,

For the last few months I have been having problems with my custom built PC randomly restarting itself - sometimes

with a BSOD, other times without one. Sometimes the display will show a random pattern of dark grey clours -

almost like you get with a cracked LCD screen for about half a second, and then it will restart itself.

As far as I can tell, the crashes appear to be random - sometimes during games, others just browsing the net. They

do appear to all happen within 4 hours of a fresh restart of windows.

I tried all the usual software fixes - things like antivirus scans, disk checks, cpu tests etc - including clean

reinstalls of windows (at least twice now). Then I tried replacing the motherboard as it appeared to have faulty

onboard sound. Then the same PC crashed again with the new motherboard!

I was told by a mate that SATA requires a pretty hefty power supply, so I just replaced the stock 320w with an

Antec 620w one. But alas, it has crashed and restarted a couple of times now.

Before the new supply was installed, sometimes after crashing the PC would beep a few times - therefore indicating

a hardware failure(?) and refuse to restart easily until removal of MB battery to reset bios. Haven't had this

problem since replacing the PS, but it's still early.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Checked and double checked everything is plugged in tight. Havent mucked around much

with the bios (adjusting power supply etc) as I don't know much about that kind of stuff. I'm thinking the next

step is to replace the graphics card?

IS there a way to narrow down diagnostics a bit in order to find out what hardware is causing the problem?

Specs are below:

Latest drivers for pretty much everything.
Disk check returning no errors.
CPU test returning no errors.

WIn 7 64bit SP1 - all updates installed.

From SPeccy - Temps included - don't think anything is overheating?

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X2 255 29 C
Regor 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88TD-M EVO (AM3) 39 C
Graphics
VX2233wm-3 (1920x1080@59Hz)
DELL IN1920 (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 60 C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AVDS-63U7B0 ATA Device (SATA) 37 C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS324 B ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio