PDA

View Full Version : Old 386

23-10-2001, 02:21 PM
How do I delete my name from my old machine when it starts up [licenced to etc], as I'm getting rid of it?

23-10-2001, 02:59 PM
'format c: /u' or 'deltree c:\' will do that ... ;<),
but if you want to be less severe, a bit more information will be needed. You can edit the *.ini files in \WINDOWS to get rid of the
names in Windows 3.1/3.11 but if it puts names on screen at start that will be a menu system or something like that.

23-10-2001, 03:31 PM
Hiya Trees Are Green :-)

If you didn't want to format or delete files from your hard drive, you could use TweakUi, X-setup and/or CleanItAll to remove traces of *you* from your old PC.

These programs are available from the net (search using Google for them) or off recent PC world magazine discs.

Good luck!

GG

PS: Who is buying it ?!!

23-10-2001, 04:33 PM
contd. the useful part seems to have not been displayed:
In Windows 3.1 (and 3.11)which is what you probably have, store this information in files called *.INI in the WINDOWS\ directory. You can edit these with notepad to remove the names. But if these names come up at start, its not windows doing that. It could be a menu system ... which will probably be started up by the AUTOEXEC.BAT script file. You could look there for a start, and if there is a line 'cd menu' or something like that,
rem it out. If that stops the name appearing, deltree that directory. But someone buying a 386 isn't buying for the software, so you could just zap the disk.

24-10-2001, 08:00 AM
You've got to be kidding, right Gary? You think these programs will run on a 386? These are all designed for Win9x, not for an old DOS 'supercomputer' :)

24-10-2001, 05:46 PM
{It's true my parents had a sense of humour].
Thanks for the advice GARY, but Mike is right.