PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming lag...?

thisisntmyusername
23-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi there to the seasoned PC gamers, I'm a seasoned PC noob, just made the jump from Xbox, so bear with me.

I just built a up a PC from scratch, these are the important specs.

64 Bit Win 7
Asus p8x68/Gen-3 MB
i5 2500k at 3.3ghz CPU
16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Nvidia Gtx560 Ti 1gb GPU
Corsair HX750 PSU
1TB seagate HDD over SATA

Now, that's my first PC build I've done. When I play Bf3 it can take anywhere between 45 seconds to 2 minutes to load a good size map i.e. Kharg, Caspian, sometimes even Metro, and I'm getting at least half a second if not more lag during gameplay, which at PC's gameplay speed is killer, by the time I am able to react I'm dead. Can anyone with a similar spec offer advice on BF3 video settings? I run an average of 1.5mb/s on a DS3 connection so I'm pretty sure it couldn't be a connection lag. A mate of mine also running an i5 2500k but with 8gb ram and a lesser GPU isn't getting anywhere near as much lag as I am, plus he's on a DS2 connection which caps at 1mb/s.

Am I completely missing something?

Any help would be awesome.

Also while I'm here, looking at my system activity its indicating that while I'm idling with nothing but windows 7 on the desktop, it's using 1.6gb of ram out of the 16gb, and that seems very excessive to me, is it normal?

Snorkbox
23-01-2012, 10:52 PM
So which ISP are you using? Also which ISP is your mate using?

Alex B
23-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes that's normal ram usage, look up super fetch for more info.

sk69ersnz
24-01-2012, 06:25 AM
The loading times are pretty long but you get used to it.
Try this http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/OPS/Battlefield-3-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-OPS

Make sure your drivers are up to date.You will lag a bit at the start of each map but it comes right.

dugimodo
24-01-2012, 06:48 AM
This http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-2.0.2.0.html cut my WoW latency in half, from 500 to 250 so it might help. Also you can ask your isp to disable interleaving if it isn't and that will reduce it a bit more. If you share the connection with anyone their usage will effect your latency also

I don't play BF3 but it lag is generally network / isp related unless your system is really struggling because you have set the graphics too high, to prove it just turn everything down so it looks terrible and see if you are still lagging.
The only suggestion for load times is a faster hard drive such as a raid array or SSD both of which are a little pricey just to make maps load quicker.

FPS type games really need local servers, if you are playing on overseas servers it will never be great. The last one I played regularly was Quake3 and you need less than approx 70ms latency to be competitive in that, even using Aussie servers pushed me over 100~150 which is still playable but a big disadvantage.

thisisntmyusername
24-01-2012, 12:17 PM
So which ISP are you using? Also which ISP is your mate using?

I'm on Telstra, he's on Telecom. I'd been running Xbox 360 bf3/mw3 all that shibang with no lag at all for a solid few months.

icow
24-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Doesn't BF3 have major server problems? Try another server?

jareemon
24-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Are you playing on NZ servers

thisisntmyusername
24-01-2012, 04:40 PM
OZ and NZ servers generally if I can find one to suit what I'm looking for, if not then Western USA.

icow
24-01-2012, 04:53 PM
And you still get the lag on US servers? Is it only in battlefield that you get lag? Are you connecting over wifi or ethernet?

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd suggest a solid-state drive would significantly decrease your load-times too! Won't help in-game, but the pre-game loading it'll make a nice difference to :)

thisisntmyusername
25-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Using an Ethernet connection straight to the router. Lag seems to have dimmed down quite significantly, don't know why though. And going to be getting a 120gb SSD in the near future. Thanks for the help everyone, going to keep this site bookmarked for future help!

Cheers.

The Error Guy
25-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Wireless has more latency than Ethernet (usually), especially those thompson ones. When I was setting up some rural folks with boradband/wireless I was getting about 30%-40% signal (forgot the dB) at their office. Latency was at around 350ms, the router was <25m away, max sustainable data transfer rate was about 30kpbs. 10m from router yielded 80-125ms latency with a transfer rate of 400-600 kbps, only gained about 10% signal strength. Just a normal house, no extra thick walls, all plaster with wood stud.