PDA

View Full Version : Noisy CPU Fan

icow
22-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Recently my cpu fan has been producing excessive noise. I think the bearings and any lubrication that they might have had is completely shot. I'm looking into buying a new cooling solution soon but I would like to try to reduce the noise even just a little bit until then. Any one got any ideas on how i could achieve this?

Btw its not just noisy on load, it's just a constant noise.

Slankydudl
22-01-2012, 02:13 PM
get some WD40 or CRC and try to get it in where the bearings are... that will work for a while.

feersumendjinn
22-01-2012, 06:33 PM
The bearings are usually under the sticker

icow
22-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll keep that i mind for the future but the cpu cooler i have doesnt have a sticker (looks like this: http://computershopper.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/amd-s-redesigned-stock-heat-sink/227923-1-eng-US/amd-s-redesigned-stock-heat-sink.jpg stock AMD) There's just plastic where the sticker is. Is it likely that they're directly under that area of the fan?

feersumendjinn
22-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Are you sure that isn't a sticker, looks like one from here (that is where the bearing should be) ;), give it a poke in the centre with a pin (if you don't want to try lifting the sticker(?)), use crc or some very light oil, just a small drop (and not engine oil!).

That looks like a standard size fan (40 to 60mm area, measure it across 1 side, not diagonally :) and thickness may matter), you should be able to buy one easily for $10-$15, just match the wiring (3-4 wire?).

Slankydudl
23-01-2012, 08:12 AM
yeah as feersumendjinn said it can look like its plastic but if you try poking it with a pin in the center it should have a small hole. if not then wait until you can get a new fan and listen to some music with headphones :P

And for a new fan i recommend you get this http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=449 not because i know anything about it but because its the biggest one i could find.

Lawrence
23-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Have a fan on a GPU (9500GS) that needs lubricating 3 times a year

Has a sticker which underneath is a smaller round clear plastic window which you pick out with a pin

Started lubing with 3 in One oil but find 4 Stroke oil and applying a little wheelbearing grease with a Toothpick works really well

Have to reglue the Top sticker back on and reseat GPU

dugimodo
23-01-2012, 08:38 AM
If it's loud enough to be annoying then a little oil is not likely to help for long, and if it fails you could potentially damage the CPU.
Like suggested, just figure out what size the fan is and buy a new one, looks to me like it just clips on. Fans are cheap.
Also check if the heatsink is clogged up with dust or dirt, or anything is touching the fan blades - just to confirm it is actually the Fan itself.

Any 3 or 4 wire fan should work on either a 3 or 4 way header so match the old one if you can but don't stress if you can't. The difference is just whether it will work with PWM but they are compatible with each other apart from that.

If you tell us what socket / CPU you have we can suggest options if you like, this http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA34036 is a good reasonably priced all round option but pretty large compared to stock coolers and possibly overkill depending on your setup.

Agent_24
23-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Not if the sticker is on the fan blade assembly itself. This is where the spindle connects to the fan blades to actually turn them, having bearings there would make no sense.

If the sticker is on the fan blades, then you need to unscrew\unclip the fan from the heatsink and get at it from the other side.

THAT is where the bearings will be.

PENTIUM
23-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Some of them have a small bung you pull out to get at the sleeve bearing. Smallest drop of oil will kepp it quiet, with luck.