PDA

View Full Version : Guess I am not the only one to see the decline in Freeview

tut
22-01-2012, 08:14 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10780242

Paul.Cov
22-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Junk article.

It only comments on the 'quality' of the ads.

It says nothing about the TV programming.

It is also misleading to tag it "Freeeview" when it's about free-to-air TV. It has nothing to do with Freeview digital, as it's a comment on prograqmming that is still going out analogue.

Besides, Sky also drenches their content with the same junk advertisements, so their subscribers not only pay for content, they also pay for the same garbage ads, and those Sky subscribers who are watching as it's broadcast still have to sit through the ads as well.

I suspect the take-up in Sky reflects to a greater degree the extent to which many kiwis do not understand the switch to digital, with many of them thinking a sky sub is the easier / cheaper way to migrate to digital (renting the hardware rather than buying it outright).

Trev
22-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes I would say what a load of bullshit. I have Sky but don't no why. At the moment there is more to watch on Freeview than Sky not that I watch much TV, maybe up to 2 Hrs a night max. As for the ads which don't worry me just turn the sound off or surf the internet while they are on.
:)

SP8's
22-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Wonder how much he got paid by Sky to write that unbiased piece of cr@p ... :D

plod
22-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes I would say what a load of bullshit. I have Sky but don't no why. At the moment there is more to watch on Freeview than Sky not that I watch much TV, maybe up to 2 Hrs a night max. As for the ads which don't worry me just turn the sound off or surf the internet while they are on.
So true, it's going to make Igloo an interesting option

tut
22-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Freeview is just a digital version of free to air with a couple of extra channels thrown in.
It was the comment about the adverts that I was referring to and how the standard of content was becoming a reflection of these ads.
Soon there will probably be no Freeview.

wainuitech
22-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Depending on what you watch, Freeview is utter rubbish. We have Mysky as well as Telstra (which has sky), and at a guess, looking at whats available in freeview ,95% of all the programs watched here cannot be seen on Freeview.

pine-o-cleen
22-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Soon there will probably be no Freeview.

After the government has poured millions of dollars into getting it set up? I doubt it.

paulw
22-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Depending on what you watch, Freeview is utter rubbish. We have Mysky as well as Telstra (which has sky), and at a guess, looking at whats available in freeview ,95% of all the programs watched here cannot be seen on Freeview.

With Sky cornering all the content FV or Over the Air is not going to get any better..

Lawrence
22-01-2012, 01:20 PM
They reckon "Igloo" could be around $20 for 11 Channels

Current Freeview is a joke with Stratos cut and TV7 due to end

Can see Freeview in it's current form slowly diminishing

icow
22-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Once upon a time sky had little/no ads and when they did they were usually about sky and things on sky. Now it's just as bad as free tv and you have to pay for it :(

pctek
22-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Hmmm.

Whats on Freeview:
http://www.freeviewnz.tv/tv-guide.aspx

Whats on Sky:
http://www.skytv.co.nz/tv-guide.aspx

Trev
22-01-2012, 04:05 PM
But is any of it worth watching. Most nights no on both Sky and Freeview. The only thing about Sky is that it has the sports and movies which I don't watch if you are a fan of both.

dugimodo
23-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I don't have sky, and I never will unless they let me pick which channels I want and not force a standard package full of crap I don't want on me. I get almost disbelief when they ring and I cut them off with a "not-interested"
Free to air isn't great either, but it's free so harder to be upset about. I don't watch live TV anymore, I record whatever I want to watch on the TiVo and watch it later so I can fast forward the adds.

pctek
23-01-2012, 07:38 AM
But is any of it worth watching. The only thing about Sky is that it has the sports and movies which I don't watch if you are a fan of both.

Those are the bits we don't have.
I like the doco channels. Husband watches Sky news more than NZ news.

24-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't have sky, and I never will unless they let me pick which channels I want and not force a standard package full of crap I don't want on me

I quit sky because of the 6-12 month delay before they aired the 'latest' TV Shows. Why do I have to wait if Im paying for it??
I'd rather pay , than download TV programs. But I wont wait 6+ months.

There is some good stuff on TV7 & TV6 ("U") freeview, sometimes....

goodiesguy
24-01-2012, 12:37 PM
The crime investigation channel is good (sky channel 071). Freeview is terrible. At least sky has a somewhat ok selection of channels.

kenj
24-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Freeview is terrible. At least sky has a somewhat ok selection of channels.

Have to say it. There seems to be confusion about what Freeview actually is. The name was created as a marketing device to make people aware that VHF analogue TV will disappear starting this year to be replaced with a digital service.

Sky is a paid service with heaps of advertising, lots of repeats and unless you have the MySky box with the hi def turned on at $35 per month (just reduced to $15 + $10 I believe) the picture leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, FreeviewHD, showing the BBC "Frozen Planet" is stunning.

Take your pick, free to air which is what we have been watching since the '60s, or Sky at a minimun of $47.66 for the basic + $25 for the HD option ($72.66)

Just don't confuse them and make comparisons between them.

Ken

Trev
24-01-2012, 01:44 PM
My thoughts exactly kenj.

Cicero
24-01-2012, 03:52 PM
That cosmos or whatever was had some good programs, but as soon as I bought the new TV the sods discontinued it.

Snorkbox
24-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Stratos was the show - channel I think.