PDA

View Full Version : Standard of Journalism?

fred_fish
20-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Is it just me, or are NZ news outlets staffed by retarded monkeys that never made it out of primary school?

Case in point:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/6291861/US-senators-back-down-on-online-piracy

Senate Democratic leaders still plan to vote on Tuesday on taking up the Protect International Property Act

The sheer volume of grammatical, spelling and basic factual errors showing up in news media is simply astonishing.
Yes 'spell check' is handy, but it is not a substitute for a brain or an education.

CliveM
20-01-2012, 08:57 PM
No it is not just you.

Snorkbox
20-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I see many examples of similar so it is not just you!!

Cato
20-01-2012, 09:04 PM
It was established, long ago, that all the journalists in this country suffer from some form of mental retardation.

WalOne
20-01-2012, 09:13 PM
The sheer volume of grammatical, spelling and basic factual errors showing up in news media is simply astonishing.
Yes 'spell check' is handy, but it is not a substitute for a brain or an education.

Astonishing?

Appalling is arguably closer to the mark. Whatever, I agree. :thumbs:

icow
20-01-2012, 09:26 PM
The standard is pretty crap but the thing i hate the most is the bullshit they put in the media and the media just takes situations and makes then worse by giving them publicity. The can take a situation as bad as 911 and make it seem 10x worse. That's right they make stuff look like 9110.

wainuitech
20-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Theres a standard ?? ;)

R2x1
20-01-2012, 09:38 PM
A sub-standard possibly. Proprietors are always on the lookout for staff with knowledge, aptitude and energy. At the first sign of any of those, out they go.

ruup
21-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Wear are there editor:s ?

Agent_24
21-01-2012, 10:28 AM
The standard is pretty crap but the thing i hate the most is the bullshit they put in the media and the media just takes situations and makes then worse by giving them publicity.

Such is the point of the media.

dugimodo
21-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a lot of issues with the media, which I solve by ignoring them mostly. I suspect online publications suffer more from errors because they try to get news out immediately, which doesn't leave much time for editing, fact checking, spell checking, etc.
Something else I've noticed is they all just publish each others stories, if you read enough sites you'll find a lot of duplication.

The thing I hate the most is when the media reports on a story that is nobodies damn business or starts a huge controversy over an non-issue by giving a really one sided poorly researched point of view.
I could go on all day, but to pick on one the photographers that prey on celebrities have to be the worst.
How is it not illegal to camp out trying to get upskirt shots of girls exiting cars? How is it ok to publish these photo's? Why aren't the photographers and publishers all in Jail? If someone did that to one of my family I would really want to smack them one at the very least.
Just because people want to see or hear about something doesn't automatically make it ok to publish.

Twelvevolts
21-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Ten rules of New Zealand journalism

1. Take as many stories as you can off the internet - try and change a few words if you can be arsed.
2. Ring up victims of crime and ask how they are feeling at Court hearing, parole hearing or where ever else you can get them to say they are angry.
3. Go to Court - describe the crim as showing no emotion, and make sure you criticise the Judiciary at least indirectly.
4. Come up with a meaningless survey and then report it as if it means something.
5. Report the latest pseudoscience, psychic quack or spiritual healer as if it were real.
6. Write about anything to do with someone complaining about sex or prostitution - especially relating to the Chow brothers.
7. Negatively report anything to do with Maori or Islanders, especially if it involves welfare.
8. Report anything Sensible Sentencing or Family Values people say, and never challenge them on anything no matter how bizarre their views (Graham Capill though is fair game now as a crim)
9. Report any survey that says New Zealand is great, has best lifestyle etc and report anyone who ever passed through New Zealand who did something good.
10. Make stuff up to fill the gaps, and head for the bar to see what the "celebrities" are doing. (that is anyone who has been in a TV soap)

For weekend editions - ask Michael Laws what he thinks about feral underclass.

Renegade
21-01-2012, 12:34 PM
This one cracked me up:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/weddings/6114617/Dan-Carter-and-Honor-Dillon-married
Dan Carter and Honor Dillon are believed to have tied the knot at their wedding in Marlborough.

Really, what a shocker! :lol:

Digby
21-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree its terrible.

And the sporting terms are terrible.

Eg

"Tomorrow the All Blacks take on Japan."

To my mind my you ownly "take on" someone better than you.

It should have been Japan take on the All Blacks or The All Blacks play Japan.

And yes why are most of the out in the field "reporters" in their early twenties ?

Don't they ever last long enough to get to say 30 or 40 like some of the US reporters, so that they have a bit more gravity and presence when presenting serious news.

feersumendjinn
21-01-2012, 01:29 PM
And yes why are most of the out in the field "reporters" in their early twenties ?

Don't they ever last long enough to get to say 30 or 40 like some of the US reporters, so that they have a bit more gravity and presence when presenting serious news.
Lower wages (you get what you pay for :crying , badly educated illiterate youngsters who can't be bothered learning to speak the queens english ("knowen, vunnerable", etc?)).

fred_fish
21-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Don't they ever last long enough to get to say 30 or 40 like some of the US reporters, so that they have a bit more gravity and presence when presenting serious news.Because you are getting old :)

And the smarter ones have worked out that it's nicer to work from a comfy office and go home to their families at night rather than schlepping around the countryside in all weather at all hours.

feersumendjinn
21-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Another thing that annoys me is news presented as high drama ("Tauranga reels from the impact of the Rena TOXIC oil spill" (aargh! we're all gonna die!)).
Who really gives a sh*t if a cargo ship hits a rock, FGS.

R2x1
21-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Dog bites man, no interest.
Man bites dog = news.
However, if a man bites a dog "at the present point in time", then "going forward" it would likely be reported as "Like, cat Caught in Christchurch Tsunami and shipwrecked by rogue uncertified rock off once-pristine Tauranga beach." Sub-heading "Man and dog injuries reported as non critical, mother of ten says 'If I had been there that day, I and my kids would have been traumatised horribly by this. They should do something'."