PDA

View Full Version : Long beeping when starting computer and it won't boot up.

angelpar
20-01-2012, 08:15 AM
I have emachine T5246. When I turn it on it makes a long beeping and continues to beep. Lights come on, I hear the fan. I disconnect everything and it did the same thing. Nothing comes up, not even bios. I know it has to do with the motherboard or failure of some type of hardware. I was wonder if anyone was fimilar with the type of computer and the bios that it uses, so I can figure out the beep code.

wainuitech
20-01-2012, 08:29 AM
The long beep indicates hardware not being detected.

looking up that model, as long as its standard it doesn't have a graphic card, only onboard graphics. This one (http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t5246/4505-3118_7-32862573.html?tag=subnav)
If it does happen to have a graphic Card, remove it, clean out any dust / dirt, put it back in.

Other wise remove the RAM, and do the same, clean out any buildup of dust /dirt. Depending on how many RAM Modules it has, if it has Two, and still beeps, remove one at a time and try to restart it.
If it starts with one module, then its possible One has failed, or a DIMM slot on the motherboard have failed.

You could try checking that the CPU has not come loose as well, the heat sink should be snug.

Failing all that, and still not working, its possible the motherboard has failed.

Doubt this would do any good, but wont hurt:

You could also try resetting the BIOS back to defaults, by removing the CMOS battery which is directly under the PCI-E Slot, leave it out for a few minutes then put it back. There should be a jumper there as well that can be used to reset the BIOS. Normally called clr CMOS

Trev
20-01-2012, 08:30 AM
I had that problem 6 months ago with my computer. After testing all the components it turned out the mother board had failed. Refurbished one supplied under warranty.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Both of these have done that.. Beeped and they dont turn on. Only way, I can get both of them to turn back on is to open the case and push the videocard in. Then both work again. Its like the videocard isnt making contact with the PCI-E slot properly. And it can get annoying, having to do it everytime they beep. Dont know if its an ATI videocard prob (I've never used Nvidia cards in either of these). But, I may chuck one in here sometime. See if it happens again

Or if its because both of these are ASUS P5Q mobos (I think the only diff is, this supports RAID the other one doesnt). The only thing this one hasnt done (yet) is corrupt the BIOS (the other one used to, but hasnt for a while).

angelpar
20-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Thank You all. I will let you know once I get some anti static gloves or wrist stap. I don't want to burn out the motherboard or other components by not using something protect from static charge.

dugimodo
20-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Just hang onto an earth with your other hand and you'll be fine :)
Easy way, turn off the mains but leave the plug in, the earth yourself to the metal chassis of the PC. Generally as long as you touch an earth before touching anything inside the pc, and touch one regularly while working in there, you are fairly safe. Just don't wear a nylon shirt / shocks / whatever and slide around on the carpet.

A wrist strap is worth having though, cheap enough and potentially a PC saver.