PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 Duo PC - Upgrade Suggestions

Chemical Ali
19-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi

Looking at upgrade suggestions for my Core 2 Duo PC.

It has an E8500 Core 2 Duo CPU on a Gigabyte motherboard, a 7200RPM Samsung HDD (750GB), Creative Audigy soundcard + a 9600GT PCI-E video card along with 2GB RAM running Windows 7 32-bit.

Not looking at a total overhaul (i.e. new CPU and motherboard) as will end up having to replace RAM as well.

I'm thinking improvements to the hard drive, video card and possibly adding USB 3 capability via a PCI card are the best options???

icow
20-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Not much wrong in the HDD department unless you're looking at a SSd. New bid card wouldn't go a miss. What's your psu like? More ram? Don't think there are enoug usb3 devices to warrant an upgrade to that.

DaveBritton
20-01-2012, 03:55 AM
You could thrown in a small SSD for the OS and some applications, keep your current drive for file storage, which would improve performance loads. The biggest bottleneck, generally speaking, is the hard drive in a PC. A better graphics card is also a good idea, but there is only so much the rest of the PC will be able to handle, so don't go all out and spend loads on one. USB 3 isn't very common on devices at the moment, and it is backwards compatible with USB 2 anyway, so I wouldn't even bother.

pctek
20-01-2012, 06:02 AM
It has an E8500 Core 2 Duo CPU on a Gigabyte motherboard, a 7200RPM Samsung HDD (750GB), Creative Audigy soundcard + a 9600GT PCI-E video card along with 2GB RAM running Windows 7 32-bit.

I'm thinking improvements to the hard drive, video card and possibly adding USB 3 capability via a PCI card are the best options???

GPU, RAM and HDD.

dugimodo
20-01-2012, 07:11 AM
If you can bump it up to 4GB of RAM it will have the most noticeable effect in my opinion.
Graphics card is a good option because if you upgrade later you can use it on the new build.

It's still pretty good as is and isn't worth spending too much on because it would quickly get close to the price of an upgrade.
For example a pentium G620 CPU (basically close to the equivalent of what you have), a cheap H61 motherboard, and 4GB of RAM can all be had for approx $250 - $300 and while it may sound low end it would be capable of taking an i7, a modern graphics card, and 8GB of RAM or more making it infinately more upgradeable. Switching to an i3 would add another $80 or more.

I mention only as a comparison, if you could find a quad core CPU for your board it would cost more than a whole upgrade most likely and older RAM is more expensive also.

So if it was me I'd look at Graphics and maybe Hdd as you can re-use those, and RAM if you can get it cheaply enough. The rest I wouldn't upgrade.

pcuser42
20-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Definitely start with RAM, if you have 64-bit Windows 7 go for 8GB if you can (I have 4GB).

skeptile2
20-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Definitely start with RAM, if you have 64-bit Windows 7 go for 8GB if you can (I have 4GB).
+1 agree with that.

Chemical Ali
20-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Running 32-bit Windows 7 but had heard somewhere that I can install 64-bit Windows 7 suing the same license key - does anyone know if that's correct?

Chemical Ali
20-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions which pretty much aligned with what I was thinking -- almost considering a full mo'bo/CPU/RAM upgrade and adding new HDD & graphics card later on.
But it's still a good machine and runs well so it seems a bit of a shame to replace everything even though the economics (as Dugimodo points out) almost make sense to do that ....

pcuser42
20-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Running 32-bit Windows 7 but had heard somewhere that I can install 64-bit Windows 7 suing the same license key - does anyone know if that's correct?

Yes. But you need to do a full reinstall.

dugimodo
21-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes. But you need to do a full reinstall.

Actually only maybe. Oem versions can be 32 or 64 bit specific (I think they always are in fact), check the disk. Retail versions and possibly uprade versions (never used this one) may allow either 32 0r 64 at install.

pcuser42
21-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Actually only maybe. Oem versions can be 32 or 64 bit specific (I think they always are in fact), check the disk. Retail versions and possibly uprade versions (never used this one) may allow either 32 0r 64 at install.

I successfully installed 64-bit Windows 7 using the key on the bottom of my netbook and my own disc (it shipped with 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium).

(That was before I used a free key from university to install Professional. :p)

icow
21-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Windows 7 OEM keys work with both 64 and 32 bit. Tested that myself.

Chemical Ali
23-01-2012, 04:38 PM
So do I just need a copy of the 64-bit media (DVD) and I'm away and laughing?
Can I get a copy from Microsoft as I only have the 32-bit version DVD for Windows 7 Home Premium?

I'm presuming that 64-bit Windows runs games like Sims/Age of Empires okay otherwise the kids will be in a state of agitation?!

pcuser42
23-01-2012, 05:00 PM
So do I just need a copy of the 64-bit media (DVD) and I'm away and laughing?

Yes. :D

Can I get a copy from Microsoft as I only have the 32-bit version DVD for Windows 7 Home Premium?

Unsure, though you can borrow a disc.

I'm presuming that 64-bit Windows runs games like Sims/Age of Empires okay otherwise the kids will be in a state of agitation?!

There should be no problems with 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows. :)