PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

23-10-2001, 07:21 AM
I have read so many negative comments about XP in this, and other,forums that I believe a lot of the grizzles are from people who have never even seen XP.I think some people just like to see their name in print.
I have used XP build 2505 for the past three months and I love it. It is the best O/S that has come from MS,by far.
A few tips, if anyones interested, from my experience.
Firstly do a full format.I have not seen any program give it's best when installed on top of an earlier edition. My first install of XP was on top of win98se.XP continued to use a lot of the 98 settings. Changes I had made in the registry were reflected in XP.I would think that this is the cause of a lot of the trouble.For example, my scanner and soundcard worked. They should not, and don't, work under XP.
So loading on top of another version of windows is producing a hybrid O/S.This ,of course, is asking for trouble.
I have formatted an installed seven times so far and am now more than happy with the performance of XP.

I have tried Fat32 and am currently using NTFS. There is no noticable difference between them. I will continue to use NTFS simply because it is reccomended by MS. After all they should know what's best for XP.
If you are going to install XP I would suggest you save what you need and then put the instillation disk in your CD and hit reboot.Then select full format, NTFS.

Then give the system a full trial before moaning about it.
Jack.

23-10-2001, 08:09 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. I have used WindowsXP since build 2410 (pre-luna), and have liked each build. Some people go around saying 'games won't work...etc' this is simply not true, and home does not run more games than professional, they are based on the same files. Pro IS home, with a few buisness features added.
If you don't like the interface, you just go to the display control panel and select 'classic windows'.

23-10-2001, 10:33 AM
People have been saying negative comments on XP probably because of all the advertising by third parties, especially about how you can't upgrade easily under XP.

24-10-2001, 09:12 AM
What I want to know is what is missing from Pro that is in Home, eg games, anything else... Is Pro as easy as Home to run (could my wife run it easy enough? - too much security or whatever?) I'm getting either Home or Pro, but I haven't totally made up my mind yet...

28-10-2001, 11:20 PM
Id like to try XP before I buy.
Where can I get a pre release copy from ?

29-10-2001, 06:06 AM
they are no longer available.
as amatter of interested I now have the full 'home' edition and am more than satisfied.It installed flawlessly and runs fast and smoothly.
I notice I said I couldn't notice any difference in speed between NTFS and Fat32. Since writing that I have checked them out at PC Pitstop. It reported that with Ntfs I was running at 70% of average speed for my comp. With fat32 It reported 95% of average.
with win98se I was getting 80% of average.
Of course these figures don't mean much to the average user.
Cheers,
Jack.