PDA

View Full Version : CPU and GPU questions. Need reply.

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I have a AMD 64x2 2.1 GHz cpu, is each core 2.1 GHz? If it is, does that mean I have 4.2 GHz CPU? I run some games that require a 2.8 GHz CPU, it works fine apart from the odd short pause in the game, is that my GPU doing that?

wainuitech
18-01-2012, 12:08 PM
It doesn't work like that, wish it did, then my Quad core 2.4 would really be a 9.6GHz (I wish)

Edited: just found a plain english way to explain it:
a Dual Core CPU is not exactly the same as taking the power of two single core CPU's and adding them together. The power of the two cores is not added together and then applied to any one program. The way it works is any multi-threading capable application, that means 64-bit applications ONLY, it's processing load can be split between the two processing cores to better handle the load but this is not done through some simple 50/50 split.

One way to look at it is like this, if you need to move 100 pounds of weight the distance of 100 miles, a single core would have to do that all by it's self. On a Dual Core, using a 64-bit program, the first core will move say 60 pounds and the second core will move the other 40 pounds at the same time. This allows the weight to travel the distance in a shorter amount of time but it's not the same as moving the 100 pounds twice as fast on it's own.

The first, main core, will always do the bulk of the work. Any 32-bit program is handle strictly by this core and can not address the second core to help share some of it's load. Most programs these days are still 32-bit and only a handful of games, like The Orange Box and Crysis, are 64-bit. Any 32-bit game will only be able to use that one core just like any other 32-bit program.

With all that said, if you were to compare a Single Core CPU and a Dual Core CPU, one core of the Dual Core is still more powerful then a regular Single Core CPU of the same GHz rating. A single core of a 2.0GHz Dual Core is still more powerful and more efficient then a 2.0GHz single core CPU. Dual Core CPU's have more transitors and larger cache's that allow them to handle more information faster. Because of this, when using a 64-bit application that can address both cores, a 2.0GHz Dual Core is actually more powerful then two 2.0GHz single cores put together.

New generations of Dual and Quad Core CPU's are also more powerful then previous generations of the same CPU. There have been various generations already with multi-core CPU's and a first gen Pentium D Dual Core @ 2.0GHz is not as powerful as the latest Wolfdale Series 2.0GHz Dual Core. Again, more transitors and a larger cache on the new chips compared to the old ones.

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Ahhhh, thank you. It is my CPU then?

Agent_24
18-01-2012, 12:15 PM
In my experience short pauses in games are due to not enough RAM and the game having to wait while Windows loads data to or from the pagefile (virtual RAM on HDD)

How much RAM do you have? What game causes the pausing?

When you notice this pause, check your HDD light - is it on solid?

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks, what's a good way to squeeze the most power and performance out of my computer? I'm already going to upgrade my graphics card.

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 12:41 PM
2 GB. Iv'e looked into getting more, but that's the limit.

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Post your full PC spec, including what your motherboard is ideally, as well as the GPU details.

pctek
18-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I run some games that require a 2.8 GHz CPU, it works fine apart from the odd short pause in the game, is that my GPU doing that?

In order of importnace for gaming:

1)GPU - this is the single most important component for gaming. Check the box to see Recommended specs, no not Minimum - recommended. Have better than that.

2)CPU and RAM. Now that you have that sorted, make sure this meets recommended specs too. You can get away with it a bit, but you will cause bottlenecks if you have mismatched parts.

Gaming PCs have a life span of about 5 minutes because of this, It's an ongoing process, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

You buy the coolest hardware to play the latest snazzy game and after a bit the game developers say, oh look, cool new hardware, that means we can make the graphics so much better and stuff, and then you need to buy yet more hardware to run the latest snazzy game and then the developers say.....and so on.

Or you give up and buy a console and have nothing change for years.

18-01-2012, 01:38 PM
.....it works fine apart from the odd short pause in the game, is that my GPU doing that?

whats probably happening is its just loading the next section of the game.
The whole game cant be stored in ram, its just loads up the section of the game thats needed . These can be huuuuge in size so isnt instantaneous
Used be be more of an issue when most of the game was stored on CD\DVD .

Also might be other stuff going on in windows, ie other programs running causing momentary slowdowns

RamCity
18-01-2012, 01:54 PM
If you have posted your complete PC specifications that would have help better to solve the issue. Will you?

dugimodo
18-01-2012, 02:19 PM
You asked how to squeeze the most performance out of your machine, short answer is don't.
Wait until it's too slow for what you want then upgrade motherboard / cpu / ram / graphics. Repeat every few years when games get away from you.
This is the sad reality of PC gaming (or the good bit for geeks like me who enjoy building it as much as using it).

It's not often worth spending much on hardware that is over say 18 months (maybe less) old unless it was high end to begin with.
For example you say you are at the RAM limit already, so no matter how fast you make the rest of the system it will always be limited by that.

You could probably get a faster CPU and Graphics card because AMD is quite backwards compatible, but it would still be hampered by the old platform and lack of RAM.
If you post your specs like people have suggested there may be 1 or two things you can do, but I wouldn't expect it to be much.

The only useful thing I can think of is to have a good clean out of unwanted programs and kill any memory resident programs or services that you don't need so that the maximum amount of your 2G is available for the games to use. Go through add remove software and remove anything you don't want, run MBAM, Spybot, CCleaner, Anti-virus scans, defrag the hard drive. After all that chances are it won't make much difference :) but it can help a lot if your system suffers from bloat.

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I clean out my PC every now and then, I have heaps of tweaking tools which don't make a heap of difference, Iv'e stopped heaps of process's. Defrags, CCleaner, advanced system care 5, game booster 3......the lot.

I probably should upgrade the mobo, cpu and graphics card

Here are my specs:

2GB DDR2 RAM, 256MB ATi Radeon HD 3----?, AMD 64x2 2.1 GHz, ASUS M2N-MX SE motherboard, Windows XP

I am currently working on getting a bigger better graphics card.
Seagate have sent me a 500 GB Barracuda and still waiting for it.
I have a low budget as I still go to school (**sigh**). So I don't get much money to spend on computer parts(**sigh**).

icow
18-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I clean out my PC every now and then, I have heaps of tweaking tools which don't make a heap of difference, Iv'e stopped heaps of process's. Defrags, CCleaner, advanced system care 5, game booster 3......the lot.

Running all that is probably actually slowing your system down (the software not defragging and killing process) . I'd keep ccleaner though. I find it great for getting free space back.

I'm guessing your graphics card is a 3870 or 3850. That's rather dated and if you're playing newer games it's probably the reason why you're getting lag (and lack of ram).

ChazTheGeek
18-01-2012, 05:34 PM
The thing is, I run them manually then close the process when I've finished. I make sure they have closed. Yes, I have realized that I need new graphics card since ages ago....I would love a 6990 but alas not enough cash flow. Thats what happens when ya go to school.

icow
18-01-2012, 07:09 PM
You can get a 6770 for like $150 now. Just save up for one of those.

feersumendjinn
18-01-2012, 07:53 PM
You may need a later (and higher output) power supply also, to feed that card
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6770/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6770-overview.aspx#3
Look under System Requirements

# PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
# 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).
# Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products

ChazTheGeek
19-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah I think I better save...
At the moment I'm looking for a cheap 1gb graphics card of trade me.

icow
19-01-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-440998973.htm ? or there are some 4870's for a similar price.

Slankydudl
19-01-2012, 12:54 PM
getting more ram will defiantly help not just with gaming but overall performance.

ChazTheGeek
20-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I better start saving!

20-01-2012, 02:08 PM

my 2c
Stop Fiddling with Windows. Seriously.

Tweak tools, game boosters, 'advanced system care" . (reg cleaners ??) :yuck:
Get rid of the lot .

In fact ,Im guessing wipe & clean install may be a good idea.

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Do you think this is a good card ?: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=441849718&permanent=0

icow
22-01-2012, 10:06 AM
No.

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Whats wrong with it?

icow
22-01-2012, 10:53 AM
The GPU is bad.

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 11:31 AM
WOW, that tells me sooo much. Seriously whats wrong with it?

icow
22-01-2012, 11:53 AM
The GPU isn't good enough to run anything. I do not know how a gpu works so I can't tell you specifically what's wrong. It looks like it's designed for computers that require a discrete graphics card or maybe a media center for watching 1080p videos.

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 12:21 PM
The thing is, Iv'e been looking at reviews on the net and people are totally happy with it's performance. Loads of 5/5 star ratings. They say it handles modern games. Sorry If I have been rude. Thanks all the same.

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Iv'e bought the card now.

Snorkbox
22-01-2012, 12:53 PM
So why ask then?

icow
22-01-2012, 01:01 PM
It scores 341 on passmark...

SP8's
22-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread ... :groan:

Slankydudl
22-01-2012, 03:20 PM
isn't that a physX card... designed to run along with another GPU and handle all the physics in games. Or at least thats what i think, i haven't really read into it. wow 300 on passmark is terrible. my card scores around 3000

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Whats a passmark?
Here's one thing you guys should know: I don't have loads of money to spend on computer components.
PhysX is only an enhancement. It taps into the GPU for complex physics calculations. PhysX brings games to life with dynamic destruction, particle based fluidsand life like animation.
Here's a link: http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/Technologies/physx

ChazTheGeek
22-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Hers's what ya need guys: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-440475325.htm
Can't believe I didn't see it before lol!
Very expensive.

Slankydudl
22-01-2012, 08:33 PM
okay lets do a rundown on everything.
1. Only works on games that support physx.
2. If the game uses it as a PPU you will then effectively have no graphics card.
3. It will not work unless you are running a game meaning unless your running a game that both supports physx and uses it as a GPU you will have no gpu so your computer will not work.
4. if this card were to run a game by itself it would fry.
5. it also has no optical output meaning you will not be able to connect a monitor.

I am relatively certain the physx card cannot operate as a normal GPU under normal conditions as its only feature is PhysX compatibility. and it would seem pointless to make it function as a normal GPU as any Nvidia gpu series 8 or above with over 32 cores can use physx without the dedicated physx caed.

icow
22-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Here's one thing you guys should know: I don't have loads of money to spend on computer components.

Yeah I got that. But what people are trying to say is that you would be better off saving your $60 up to say you'd be better off saving up to say $160 and buying something that will last a little longer. Also I think you mentioned that you had a 38xx, so either a 3850 or 3870. Passmark score wise you have just downgraded yourself. You might see on par performance due to the newer tech and the increased vram to load larger textures etc but in the long run you won't be better off.

Slankydudl
22-01-2012, 09:05 PM
so icow does this mean a dedicated PhysX card can actually be run as a normal gpu?

icow
22-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't call it a dedicated physx card. I'd just say its a video card with physx capabilities. Can you even get a graphics card for only physx? I know you can set one of your SLI cards to pure physx and I don't know then if it matters how good the card is or not.

8ftmetalhaed
23-01-2012, 02:22 AM
I believe you can get actual dedicated phys-x cards that can't output video, and simply perform physx fangling on the pci bus. Which seems kind of superfluous to me. Yeah it might add some serious immersion to your games, but not all that many games support it.

Slankydudl
23-01-2012, 09:16 AM
I just assumed the point of a physx card was purely physx. Anyways the point being try to get a refund or something because you will not be very happy with this things performance. save up for a while because the card you already have is better than the one you just bought.

icow
23-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Trademe and it's second hand. Unlikely they'll refund you just because you changed your mind. Worth a shot though.

Slankydudl
23-01-2012, 01:00 PM
good point. next time listen to peoples advice

ChazTheGeek
30-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Excuse me, but this card is a million times better than my old, old 3450. It runs things on high graphics easy!! It is like new too. I am very satisfied with it. So I don't know what you're complaining about. In my books this is a good card at a cheap price.

pctek
30-01-2012, 07:04 PM
First you ask.
Then you say you better start saving.
5 minutes later you're rushing off an buying crap off Trademe.

wanabe techie-------fail, techs learn by paying attention to the more experienced.

Slankydudl
30-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Not only that but you actually did no research into what you were buying at all. The fact that its better is basically sheer luck. Although i must admit your old gpu is not sold anywhere.

Agent_24
30-01-2012, 07:46 PM
So what?

He bought a card that is a decent brand, was obviously cheap enough for him (and was cheaper than brand new) and from what he says runs his games well.

Might not be the best ever purchase but sometimes you just have to get what you can get, especially if you want to play your games now rather than later.

Besides, learning from your own mistakes can make a much more lasting impression than learning from someone else's experience...

forrest44
30-01-2012, 07:46 PM
The way it works is any multi-threading capable application, that means 64-bit applications ONLY

ummm... that definitely doesn't sound right...

ChazTheGeek
31-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for sticking up for me Agent_24! I totally agree with you. It runs my games on high settings. By the way, I did do research. That was the best card I could afford and besides I am only a teenager. You guys probably have the money to spend on this sort of thing. If I had the funds I would buy better cards.

Well, the main thing is that I am totally happy with it! Even a little overclocking helps.

Slankydudl
31-01-2012, 07:25 PM
can you actually overclock that since it doesn't have the greatest of heat distribution. im only 16 but iv been saving up for a while as you can tell since my current pc has 2gb ddr 800mhz ram ati radeon 2600m and an intel core 2 duo 2.6ghz

icow
31-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd have to agree with the not overclocking thing. Fanless design + oc doesnt sound like a good combo to me. But if it does what you want it to do then you should be happy with that :)

Agent_24
31-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Fanless cards are usually designed to be used in a case with decent airflow to begin with, in fact it probably says that on the box\manual somewhere.

Remember, the cooler it runs, the longer it will last.

ChazTheGeek
01-02-2012, 07:27 AM
There are those factors.
I have a reasonably good cooling system.