PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks - Advice needed

Drenwick
17-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Hey everyone,

So after selling my HP Pavilion, and moving back to a custom built desktop I have discovered that a laptop/netbook is something I need for work, study and travel.

I am in the market for something that is small, quick and can at least run Windows 7 smoothly with a memory upgrade and have been considering the Asus 1001 PXD.

I've set my target price at $400 to $450 tops and I would appreciate some advice on the best product in this range. I am happy to purchase RAM for a netbook to, so stock RAM isn't a problem.

The main applications would be: Chrome, Word, VLC and (specifications permitting) some light gaming.

Thanks in advance!

icow
17-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Have you looked at the MSi Wind?

BBCmicro
17-01-2012, 07:39 PM
As it happens I am looking for a Netbook for our Uni-bound daughter.

The Asus 1001 is good value at $399 special. I think I saw it at Dick Smith.

However, it is Windows 7 Starter and therefore limited to 2 GB. I don't know whether the Asus has 1 or 2 GB. I don't think it would be any good for gaming of any sort. I am attracted by the price and the ability to run Word. However, daughter might be disappointed because her existing 3.5-year-old Netbook runs XP and might be faster

The Netbook I will probably recommend to her when she arrives is:

HP Pavilion DM1-4015AU 11.6" Intel i3-2367 1.4GHz 4GB 640GB Bluetooth Windows 7 Home Premium $840 + $50 Cash Back Deal [Online]

I realise this is outside the stated price range. What attracts me is the Second Generation CPU which has a lot of grunt and might run cooler than previous HPs

icow
17-01-2012, 07:53 PM
However, it is Windows 7 Starter and therefore limited to 2 GB.

That's a good point. Starter is quite limited but not many netbooks come with home premium or pro. Do you have a home prem. key?

Chilling_Silence
17-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I'd still personally look at bumping up your budget if possible and getting something like the Asus Transformer. The lightweight / long battery life is *amazing*. That, and the GPU's in all netbooks are pretty damn terrible. You can stretch a few games, but only casual flash-games really.

You can import the Transformer for USD$250 (I'm pretty sure most US places are sellin them at that price now).

Otherwise, the Asus isn't bad, I had a slightly better time with my Toshiba. I've owned 4 different Asus Netbooks and two Toshibas. Definitely liked the Toshibas better :)

pcuser42
17-01-2012, 08:39 PM
If you don't mind a 12" machine I recommended the Eee 1215N (or its successor), comes with Windows 7 Home Premium and 2GB RAM stock, and has Nvidia graphics too :D

Cost me $920 though... :xmouth:

Drenwick
17-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. As for gaming, I only really meant flash games and time wasters, nothing serious as that's what my desktop is for. Do you think the Asus would handle Windows 7 Ultimate? I do have an OEM key for that.

I don't know much about Linux, but I could possibly put a small distro on?

And unfortunately the price is anchored

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Yeah it'll "handle" it but you still can't milk more outta that cow than Starter would allow. The differences aren't in performance, only in additional features, almost all of which would probably go un-used. I'd save the key if I was you.

linw
18-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I got into the Boxing Day sale and bought the HP 4015AU mentioned by BBCmicro. $720 after the 20% off. I wanted something nice and compact for lounge/lap use. The 10.1" screens are a bit too small IMO so went for the 11.6" HP. It has decent specs as well. Very pleased with this little guy. Also plugs into the TV via the HDMI port.

But, yes, they are not $400.

Drenwick
18-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I went looking at a few shops today around Auckland and have settled on the $499 Acer Aspire AS5349. From the specifications, it seems it can handle all of what I need to do. While bigger than what I originally intended, it is far more powerful. Do any of you have experience with the Intel B800 Processor?

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Depends on what you mean by 'experience' ;)

icow
18-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I went looking at a few shops today around Auckland and have settled on the $499 Acer Aspire AS5349. From the specifications, it seems it can handle all of what I need to do. While bigger than what I originally intended, it is far more powerful. Do any of you have experience with the Intel B800 Processor?

Celeron =/

Drenwick
18-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I find the price hard to beat for what I want the laptop for. I can't justify $500 more for a shiny ultrabook, though that would be much, much better. I think I need to stop getting distracted by looks :)

Drenwick
19-01-2012, 12:55 PM
What about the laptop here? http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKAS53152B&name=ASUS-K53U-AMD-Dual-Core-C60-1.0GHz-4GB-320GB-15.6-