PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer

23-10-2001, 12:44 AM
Please can someone help...
My computer is now really slow its like driving my old 66 machine.I have reinstalled windows on a reformatted drive, I have scandisked and defragged many times, I have reread your magazines for the past two years to see if they will help me, I have used the norton utilities and scaned for viruses, I have stopped programs loading at startup to see if any are at fault but to no avail....the next step is to throw it out the window, I`m nor sure what else to do, could you please suggest some thing.
I have a PIII 600E 256K Int Cache,160MB SDRAM,20 GB drive 30% full, running win 98SE, 32MB NVidia Geforce 256 graphics card with latest drivers.

23-10-2001, 07:51 AM
Something must be setup wrong.
Have you checked: right click my computer/ properties/ performance tab, make sure the drives aren't running with dos drivers.
Also with that computer I would expect it to run your hardrive at ata66, make sure that it is (if it should be). There may be a utility that you were supposed to run for your mother board, after you reinstalled.

23-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Maybe you have a hardware rather than a software problem?
Before throwing it out the window try checking your BIOS setup, if your BIOS has a 'Soft Menu' cpu set up, it may have got changed to a lower speed setting. This happened to mine after flashing the bios, it changed from 900MHz back to a default 500MHz.
There could also be some other BIOS setting which has been inadvertently changed.
You could also try installing SiSoft Sandra diagnostics and see if it offers any good tuneup tips.
http://www.sisoftware.co.nz/sandra

23-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Did you do an unconditional format.
I do an FDISK followed by an unconditional format, otherwise to old stuff may still be there via unformat command.
Do you have heaps of fonts, that is another line to follow. What about TSRs?
Nortons can put as much as a 30% slowdown under some circumstances, depending on which features you have enabled.

23-10-2001, 07:34 PM
Did you do an unconditional format.
I do an FDISK followed by an unconditional format, otherwise to old stuff may still be there via unformat command.
Do you have heaps of fonts, that is another line to follow. What about TSRs?
Nortons can put as much as a 30% slowdown under some circumstances, depending on which features you have enabled.

23-10-2001, 08:14 PM
URL should be:
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra