PDA

View Full Version : Gold Plated Pumpkins!

ManUFan
16-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Just went to the supermarket to get some pumpkin for tonight's roast...

Basic run of the mill crown pumpkin...

$15.99 each!

So no pumpkin (well actually found some squash prepackaged at about $2.00)

Hope ours in the garden grow. Might be able to retire on the profits...

Oh wait, with this new food bill I won't be able to sell them... (LOL)

Trev
16-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Pumpkins are pretty expensive at the moment. Last of last seasons crop. Squash (butter nut) are nice but very dry. At the moment frozen vegies are the way to go at the moment 1kg Watties Peas $5-19 far nicer than fresh ones and you also don't have to pod them.
:)

Zippity
16-01-2012, 11:30 AM
nothing beats fresh :)

KarameaDave
16-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Straight out of the garden, nothing better.
Supermarkets rip off both producer and consumer.

gary67
16-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Too true and any surplus goes n the freezer, last year we grew enough to eat and freeze to last us right round to this years growth came along

R2x1
16-01-2012, 01:19 PM

The combination of teeth plus digestive juices beats the s**t out of them.

Trev
16-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes it all ends up in the same place in the long run.

martynz
16-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes it all ends up in the same place in the long run.

Or in the long drop.

Bobh
16-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I once threw some pumpkin seeds into my compost bin and later found that I had a vine growing out from the bottom of the bin. I was taught how to fertilise the flowers and soon I had a free source of pumpkins. The vine extended under the fence into my neighbours property so there was a supply of pumpkins on both sides of the fence. Grow your own - beats paying $19.99 for a pumpkin.

R2x1
16-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Growing your own is fine in theory, but at short notice it is frequently extremely difficult. Most years there is not a great deal of difference in the cost of bought vegetables vs bought seeds + fertilisers + insecticides + fungicides + tool maintenance + band aids + gardening clothing. No allowance has been made for the value of the weed wrangler's labour. It is also difficult to factor in the risks of entrusting your vegetable needs to a sole supplier.

gary67
17-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Buy seeds only once and save your own after that, don't use fancy fertiliser when free compost will do the same, don't need insecticide if the soil is in good condition the bugs stay away, when you replace your Sunday best clothes save the old ones for gardening. So all it's going to cost is a little TV watching time

ManUFan
17-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Agree - nothing easier to grow. We even had some growing in the new flower garden I put in after adding the compost from the compost bin (which had pumpkin seeds in it). Have moved these (8 in all!) to another garden. All growing strongly.