PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there use 3d scanners and/or printers?

robo
16-01-2012, 07:53 AM
First off, there could be at ton of threads on this already, but the search engine tells me that "3d" is too common so search for 3d printer or 3d scanner returns only results for printer or scanner, which is a bit of a fail.

I have a couple of projects that require 3d prototyping/model making. I wondered if anyone had some suggestions for good places to look and good software/resources.

I am pretty interested in a Makerbot replicator, a new model about to be manufactured soon.

A couple of the things I want to do are based on existing items I have that I want to 3d scan/model. There are some bureaus locally, but I would be keen to be able to scan items and then tweak them in Blender (or similar) myself. I can see I am going to need some flexibility in format of the model files and am not sure whether there is some program that readily converts from one format to another.

Any suggestions from those out there that have already done it and have some experience?
Thanks in advance
robo

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Similar to RepRap?

robo
16-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes, but I am not brave enough to build one myself, the makerbot replicator will come ready to go. It's not cheap, but smaller ones out there aren't a heck of a lot cheaper. The Cube looks pretty neat too.

robo
16-01-2012, 09:43 AM
PS Hey there Chill, old friend, Happy New Year, etc.

Chilling_Silence
16-01-2012, 09:43 AM
You'd be surprised, that and there's an awesome NZ-based community that would probably help you out. Or, I'm sure you could get somebody else to build you one :D

As far as I'm aware it's by far the most popular in NZ.