PDA

View Full Version : Repeat question.........

beetle
14-01-2012, 06:13 PM
a long time ago i posted a thread about power brackets.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?85805-Power-DIY-thingy&highlight=power

this one to be exact............. well today on a slightly differnt note i lost the power to the house............ it appears that the wind has made a wire come off the box on the pole out on the street. so 3 hours later i get my power back on.

While he was here i asked him about the said bracket which now looks very very sad, and has a major lean on it and a huge rust problem.
Well seems the power fix it company Tenix? do not fix them, but if it breaks, or falls off or even catches on a vehicle going under it, they wont fix it, they will just pull my house pole fuse and leave me with out power till i get it fixed. quite regularly i have asked my electrician nephew who fixes it......... not them he says, and now tenix says not i.........
So i need a new bracket which needs to be made in a specific shape and style....... and a sparky needs to fit it......... but nobody seems to still know who does this....... are we out in pf1 land a few years down the track any the wiser on this subject?

I have been worrying about this for yonks........... and still have no idea what to do, the tenix man says it will cost big $$ especially if it breaks before i get it fixed cos it could do untold trickory power damage...........:(

help?

beetle :)

Poppa John
14-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Beetle...Can you give us a picture? PJ

beetle
14-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I had thought about it before PJ...... but didnt get round to it... hope these help...:)

Thanks

Catweazle
14-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Yikes, I would get that fixed asap.. Do you have any friends who happen to be welders? If not, try a local engineering firm.

Shouldn't cost too much for the bracket but can't say what the power company will charge to rewire.

I would get it done quickly though. That looks dangerous.

Poppa John
14-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Beetle...I would definitely get that fixed before Winter..
I am a very old ex electrician who worked most of my NZ time in Auckland. I do not know what Regs & Rules Wanganui power board has.

What you have, I know as "Point of Entry" or "Mains Entry. The cable from the street onto your house is the Power Boards. The cable from your meter board to the Mains Entry is yours. The bit where the join is made is contentious.

I had to supply the Electrical connection box under the soffit or on the bargeboard & run & connect the house mains cable. At that point timber of sufficient strength for Auckland Power Board to fix two Pocelain Insulators to anchor their cables onto & then connect them into the mains Entry Box. That was the demarcation point.

Whatever you put there does not have to be exactly the same. Time has moved on . I strongly suggest that you contact an electrician who is experienced at this work. I dont know anybody. PJ

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Thats exactly my problem PJ i have talked to a fair few people and they dont seem to know who does this job, or the electricians ive talked to dont do that job either, My electrician nephew doesnt know either ........ they dont do that at his work..... so im a bit stuck, so it may mean a few phone calls to all the local sparky's?

or find a engineer who makes brackets? and find a sparky :) that will just do the job if i supply the bracket?
That means i have to find a engineer as well........... :horrified

Poppa John
14-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Isnt Powerco Wanganui's Power Board? Surely they can recommend someody? This isnt the kind of electrician who fixes stoves & washing machines that you need. PJ

Alex B
14-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah get an engineering firm to make the bracket. Maybe get it galv coated. I'd actually check with a sparky first to see if any regs have changed with using a metal bracket like that.

I'd say you would need a lines man (Delta down here) to change that as it's between the meter and the road.

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:40 PM
LOL the guy that did the house check when i bought the place just said it needs replacing........... no suggestions...

and the Tenix guy....they used to be wanganui power co? shrugs shoulders....

and nobody seems to be able to tell me anything....... they just say get a new bracket and get some one to put it on.......Someone is the word they use............. nobody is pointing at (or to) or recommending any one. they just then mumble and dissapeer quickly like its a prob they dont want to know about....

thats why i been running around in circles....

Alex B
14-01-2012, 07:42 PM
As i said, it will be the lines company, there will probably be a sticker on your meter with their contact info.

Poppa John
14-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Go into one of the Electrical Wholesalers in town. They will have some kind of Mains Entry device that electricians use. Some of the people in there are ex trade & have knowledge. Go & talk to them, they can probably put you onto somebody who has done this work before.

From what I have seen of the trade since I retired, I am not impressed, I am glad I am out of it! PJ

PS Beetle...Drve around & look at other houses that have overhead line supply & see how that has been done. PJ

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:44 PM
But it was the lines guy who shrugged his shoulders......

Alex B
14-01-2012, 07:46 PM
But it was the lines guy who shrugged his shoulders......

Well no one else is allowed to touch between the street and the meter.

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Ok just to clarify things a little.

I use energy direct? they were formaly wanganui gas who power and gas, they use Tenix who was formerly Wanganui power board......... and this older ex power board guy, just said they do not do them, i need a electrician............ my nephew who is a commercial electrician, says nope us guys dont do that....

but he said they wont............. its my problem cos its on my house........

not trying to be grumpy here, im just saying both lots have basically fobbed me off and said not their prob....... poor me is running about like a headless chicken....

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh and one last thing..............that bracket it as the front of my property near the street,
My fuse box and meter is at the rear of the property......... with my whole house in between.......

so its ok for any one to play with wires in the house, but nobody wants the bracket to street job?

Alex B
14-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Looks like powerco might be the people you want to be talking with. Your local council should know who to talk to also.

beetle
14-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I thought Tenix was Powerco.....

feersumendjinn
14-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about replacing the bracket, whoever does it would just fit/screw a couple of insulators to the eave, and reaffix the cables.

If i were you, I'd get it done really soon!

This may help

The line company owns the lines along the street (whether strung on poles or underground). At your property, there is a "point of connection" which is where your cable joins the line company's cables, usually at the boundary of your property. You own the cable from the point of connection to the meter box, and are responsible for keeping this line properly maintained and safe.

If your line develops a fault or is damaged, you can ask the line company (either directly or via your energy company) to fix it, but the line company may charge you. You don't have to use the line company, you can get an electrical contractor to do the job. See the Yellow Pages.

Your lines may be covered by your house insurance: check with your insurer.

From here
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/electricity-rights

martynz
14-01-2012, 10:04 PM
One of my neighbours had the same problem about 6 months ago. She found an electrician who could replace the bracket but she had to get the power co. to first turn off the supply then turn it back on when the job was done. They quoted an extortionate amount for doing this but her electrician sorted it for her.
So I would suggest you try Yellow Pages.

kahawai chaser
15-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Maybe try contacting the EWRB (http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/) (see services (http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/services.html) for types of electrical workers) which is under the NZ Department of Building and Housing (http://www.dbh.govt.nz/electrical-workers) (Govt Dept) for help. There is a 0800 number. (http://ewr.dbh.govt.nz/PublicRegister/Search.aspx)

pctek
15-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Thats exactly my problem PJ the electricians ive talked to dont do that job either

Because it's a builders job. But no builder will do it without the power being turned off first.

Get the power co to turn it off when you have arranged a builder to come do it. And yep - any power thing at your house end is your responsibility.

Billy T
16-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Maybe try contacting the EWRB (http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/) (see services (http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/services.html) for types of electrical workers) which is under the NZ Department of Building and Housing (http://www.dbh.govt.nz/electrical-workers) (Govt Dept) for help. There is a 0800 number. (http://ewr.dbh.govt.nz/PublicRegister/Search.aspx)

The EWRB is a regulatory body that licenses electrical workers, and there is little chance that anybody on their 0800 number would be able to help with your problem. I'd print out a photo of the power connection and email or take it around some electrical contractors until you find one who knows what to do. Most should, because if they didn't, all new houses would cook with gas, have steam powered TVs, and use candles for lighting. Emailing should be best.

If you have no luck, email me direct, I know a Wanganui Electrical Contractor who may help if he is still in business.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ellpow
16-01-2012, 07:37 PM
How do new buildings get connected? Would the building companies working in your neighbourhood be able to help: if they have to connect new houses to the lines company network, they must know how to do it????? Also, are in in an area where smart meters are being rolled out (or are you with a power company such as Genesis who are doing a meter rollout?) They have to remove the pole fuses to do that - so kill two birds .... etc (hopefully not, but anyway).....

beetle
16-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok i heard back from powerco ..i sent them an email...........
I didnt feel very loved .:p they sent a attachment staing all lower north Is companys that do their work, ...only their approved companys on that list, only 1 is in wanganui.
It is a company ive never used and have never wanted to...........( personal reasons) so i am emailing them back........ clarifying nobody else can do this....:(

PJ i will look into the company you suggested........... i have also had it suggested i get hold of the wanganui heads of electrical somethings........ he has a business here, he may be able to help....
why is life not so straight forward....

Thanks all

Poppa John
16-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Beetle...Go into Ideal Electrical Wholesalerse in Wilson St. Ask the big bloke behind the counter if he can recommend you someone who can...?....."Replace your Overhead Mains Point of Entry at the front of your house?". Let me know what they say.

This job is one I have done myself in conjunction with the Power Board. But in Auckland. I am too old & infirm to get involved now.

Billy T has a Wanganui Electricians name for you, have you got it?

It is a bit of a rigmarole & laborious, but it is no big deal. I have done it at least half a dozen times in my working life. Every one was different & needs an Electrician to do the job, Power Linesman to disconnect & reconnect the lines from the house & possibly a Carpenter to put in support timber &/or a ready made bracket similar to what you have. PJ

PS Also do to Don Gilbertson Electrical & ask for the "Old Guy Who is the Inspector" & ask his advice. PJ

beetle
16-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I sent a email to Gilbertsons today, querying information and asking for help, i hope to get some info back that is helpful from them.... I didnt think to ask for attention the "old guy" lol but wil let you know how i get on. ( i attached photos as well)

You a sweetie PJ thanks,
I have not got back to Billy, but will check back tomorow if i have no joy with the emails i have sent.

I didnt realise it would be so difficult to find a tradesman in wanga's...........

I had a bit of a run around trying to find a builder earlier on as well........... im always worrying that ill pick a cowboy in trades people and have a huge mess on my hands........

It always pays to ask others, and go from reccomendations i have found.

Big thanks all...........

beetle

Poppa John
19-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Beetle...What is the lataest? PJ.

beetle
19-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Sorry been real busy and totally forgot to come back and say......lol

Ok some guy called Mike....... from gilbertsons, rang, and got a engineer to come out with him, measured up, and decided to make the bracket larger than current one.
With bracket, and fitting, reconnecting the power it should cost about $400, the only other quotes people been spouting off was around the $1000 mark so i can handle $400. they will fit it when the bracket is made and when they contact power company and should be all sorted by this week or next at latest............ he said it was urgent as it was horrendous looking.... i agreed.

so hopeing that one day in the next 10 days i will come home and have a new bracket on the outside of the house..:)

I had not much joy via the other emails i sent, but the gilbertsons one has come up trumps.......:)

beetle

Poppa John
19-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry been real busy and totally forgot to come back and say......lol

Ok some guy called Mike....... from gilbertsons, rang, and got a engineer to come out with him, measured up, and decided to make the bracket larger than current one.
With bracket, and fitting, reconnecting the power it should cost about $400, the only other quotes people been spouting off was around the $1000 mark so i can handle $400. they will fit it when the bracket is made and when they contact power company and should be all sorted by this week or next at latest............ he said it was urgent as it was horrendous looking.... i agreed.

so hopeing that one day in the next 10 days i will come home and have a new bracket on the outside of the house..:)

I had not much joy via the other emails i sent, but the gilbertsons one has come up trumps.......:)

beetle

Sounds good I am pleased for you. Dont forget to invoke the "Line Maintenanc Charge" you pay with every Power Bill. I don't see that you should have to pay any Power Board charges. PJ

beetle
19-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Sounds good I am pleased for you. Dont forget to invoke the "Line Maintenanc Charge" you pay with every Power Bill. I don't see that you should have to pay any Power Board charges. PJ

need to what? i dont understand????? no idea what that is or means PJ.

beetle

R2x1
19-01-2012, 10:03 PM
That means you have already paid for the bit of work the power board will do with interrupting and restoring the supply while the new brackets go in. It is called "Line Maintenance Charge" on each power bill you get.
It's a bit of fine print that should work in your favour.

Poppa John
20-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Beetle...Look at your lastElectric bill, there re two parts to it. The amount you pay for th electricity yo use +gst. The Line Maintenance Charge + gst.

The second is the same ripoff that your telephone company works, have a look at that bill as well.

It is an amont that is biled each month in case they have to do repars to youlr power line, Have a look at the fine print. To my mind there should be no charge from whoever pullsthe fuses & disonnects the cables o your house & puts them back. PJ

beetle
26-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Bliss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its fixed..............:D

All good now..:)

gary67
26-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like they did a good job for you Beetle, even if it did mean standing on my head to see the pictures

beetle
26-01-2012, 03:15 PM
oooooooopss sorry was in a hurry to show them off i guess...........

never thought about editing them properly :p

R2x1
26-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Now the power has a good steep drop into the house, your clocks may run a bit fast. ;)

Alex B
26-01-2012, 06:03 PM
It probably doesn't matter, but I would have thought they would put a half hoop on the top of the pipe to keep water out.

R2x1
26-01-2012, 06:54 PM
It needs the water - hydroelectricity.

beetle
26-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Whats a half hoop?

i wasnt here when they put it up, im just please its done and i can breath easily that its not going to snap any time soon....
i have no idea if it has a top to stop water.... its way taller than the last one ........beetle eyes arnt that good to go up and look down the pipe to see........ and no way am i going that close to the electricory............cos we dont mix nicely.:p

beetle
30-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Ok i now have a grump..............

Looking closely at the bracket it is fine, but the way its fixed and holes not filled leaves me a bit grrrhhh
And then to top it all off today, i get a phone call.........stating it cost far more than initial verbal quoted, 3 x the initial quote but they will take off a certain amount and i will only have to pay double the amount........

where do i stand? i sent him a email saying initial verbal quote etc, had time to think, blah blah blah sorta stuff and basically said it was not my fault he under quoted, and i would like a reply please........

are verbal quotes binding?
or because it is not on paper i have no leg to stand on?

Initial verbal quote, $400 at most he said.
PHone call today said $1100 and something...........its a blur cant remember exact amount.
But he will take the cost down to $700 and something

am i in the right? or in the wrong?

i am not happy and am going to struggle to find the extra amount....... :(

pctek
30-01-2012, 05:58 PM
i get a phone call.........stating it cost far more than initial verbal quoted, 3 x the initial quote but they will take off a certain amount and i will only have to pay double the amount........

are verbal quotes binding?
or because it is not on paper i have no leg to stand on?

1)Quotes are binding, estimates are not
2)Quotes should be in writing because now you have a dispute it will be very hard to prove that he said $400 in the first place.

Argue anyway.....

beetle
31-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Ok, maybe i misunderstood what was said then,

Am currently getting this sorted.

Luckily i seem to be dealing with a very nice patient person........... :)

electricory seems to always be my downfall :D

Billy T
31-01-2012, 08:37 AM
It probably doesn't matter, but I would have thought they would put a half hoop on the top of the pipe to keep water out.

It is open at the bottom, and the 180 at the top was to keep water out in the days when they fed the cable through the pipe to run it inside the house. Not necessary on this installation, and cheaper as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)