PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Clear

Myth
14-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Due to yet another screw up by Orcon (and now knowing that the exchange and our place are not faulty) my partner and I have had enough.
Hence we are looking at moving to Telstra Clear.
We will be using the non-cable service and getting broadband and phone.

Anyone have experience with these guys? Anything to say about them?

(Have heard the support is a bit shitty; but we are getting that with Orcon anyway)

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah support is 10x worse than Orcon. End of the day it's going to be coming down the same Chorus-owned cable to your home as Orcons 'internet' service for you was...

Why not go with somebody like Telecom, Slingshot or HD? What made you choose Telstra?

Myth
14-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Not sure about Telecom these days. Havent really looked at them in years

Slingshot - still hear a lot of bad things about them and they are still often referred to as Slingshit here. Also had a bad time with them after a year of their service; hence we moved to Orcon 3-4 years ago. Also; they offer 2 hour capped calls; Telstra have 3 hours. It is not uncommon for my partner to have one long (over 2 hour) phone call at least once a week as part of her volunteer work. The others dont know or dont like Skype

HD?? Who are they?

SWMBO is the most demanding net/phone user as it is an integral part of her voluntary work.

Lurking
14-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah support is 10x worse than Orcon. End of the day it's going to be coming down the same Chorus-owned cable to your home as Orcons 'internet' service for you was...

Why not go with somebody like Telecom, Slingshot or HD? What made you choose Telstra?

S h i t e Chil !, we have found Telstra ok, they even have an online instant chat for queries, only used it twice, females answered twicw as well, blokes on Xtra were not much help.

Lurking.

wainuitech
14-01-2012, 09:10 PM
S h i t e Chil !, we have found Telstra ok, they even have an online instant chat for queries, only used it twice, females answered twicw as well, blokes on Xtra were not much help.

Lurking. Totally agree with those comments .

Every ISP can be bad, but xtra is far from the best, in fact several times When calling xtra I have actually had to tell them to check certain things.

Talking to any ISP as I mentioned, sometimes is not always good, but over the last 3-4 months when ever I have had to call telstra, the longest I have had to wait is 3 minutes.

Today I called to get a customers IP address as they had lost it. After saying "User assistance" on their voice prompt, the phone rang once and I Was talking to the tech guy.

mikebartnz
15-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Due to yet another screw up by Orcon (and now knowing that the exchange and our place are not faulty) my partner and I have had enough.
Hence we are looking at moving to Telstra Clear.
We will be using the non-cable service and getting broadband and phone.

Anyone have experience with these guys? Anything to say about them?

(Have heard the support is a bit shitty; but we are getting that with Orcon anyway)
I have been with TC ADSL for a few years now and actually never need to ring their help desk and only had a couple of occasions when the network hasn't been up to scratch. Get fairly consistent speeds.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Theyre OK, if the modem (if you use theirs) is pretty crappy. It takes a while for it to sync. The modem (I have of theirs), the power cord died (I thought the modem died). But I replaced it with the Dlink power cord. And it still works. Its no longer under warranty. So they wouldnt send another one. I'll probably change it when I can be bothered tho...

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Perhaps, like Slingshot, they have improved then? ;)

pctek
15-01-2012, 08:43 AM
My experience from the inside is Telstra is fine so long as nothing goes wrong.
But if it does. Like you decide to move for instance.....the screwups and incompetence and buck passing from within is unbelievable.

Get an ISp with known good support.

Myth
15-01-2012, 09:27 AM
My experience from the inside is Telstra is fine so long as nothing goes wrong.
But if it does. Like you decide to move for instance.....the screwups and incompetence and buck passing from within is unbelievable.

Get an ISp with known good support.Like who? Seems they all have a bad rep regards customer support

We intend staying here a few years as well

Arnie
15-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Found Telstra Clear very good, both on the phone and via email. Even got a follow up call to see all was Ok. Yes they have improved heaps.