PDA

View Full Version : DVD players

Brucem
14-01-2012, 05:15 PM
We recently received a DVD from friends in England. It had been recorded from ITV3, and will not play on our Pioneer HDD DVD recorder/writer. It will however play on our more recent Samsung DVD/VCR. The Pioneer gives a "cannot play this disk" error message. I wondered if it had not been finalised, and I tried to do this on the Samsung to no avail. I also tried to copy it on the computer, using Nero StartSmart essentials version 8 which I think came with the computer DVD reader/writer, but it reports an error after reading about half the disk, which is about all that is used. Can anyone help?

Brucem

kjaada
15-01-2012, 07:08 AM
The UK uses a different format to us.You may need to reset yr player to play it.
The Samsung may make the change automatically

gary67
15-01-2012, 08:05 AM
It is probably the region code the used by the recording machine

kjaada
15-01-2012, 08:21 AM
For more info,check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Paul.Cov
15-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Personally, I'd say it's simply a read or data format issue, if it's getting through half the disc before striking problems.

I trust it's not a double layer disc (>4.4GB).

Proprietary DVD players can have varying capabilities regarding various pre-installed codecs and disc format handling routines.

Big name brands do NOT guarantee a trouble-free playing.

My old Panasonic was brutal with regard to discs having to be authored to the correct standards, with a fairly bland set of codecs, but was good at making a clean read of a disc.

The cheapie Transonic would playback anything in any format (bet they weren't paying any royalites to the owners of the various codecs), but had such a lousy laser that it would struggle to read a burnt disc cleanly.

-Couldn't win either way - both machines are trash now.

Also may come down to something as bland as whether the media and playback devices are better suited to + or - DVD media. - is supposed to be a little more video friendly. + is supposed to be better at recovering from read errors.

paulw
15-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I suppose it is authored as a DVD not just a file copy to the disk??

Renegade
15-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Isobuster can do a good recovery job. http://www.isobuster.com/