PDA

View Full Version : product endorsement

theother1
14-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Asus N20A notebook - connected by ethernet cable - Dog urgent to get to the ball - tangled in ethernet cable on way past. Result - Notebook flies through the air 1.5 metres and 90cm vertically to the polished wooden floor.:horrified:angry All sorts of disaster goes through my mind. Pick it up - still running - no apparent damage to case. Complete GST return which is due tomorrow, do a full back up, Restart - seems fine???!!! I am still nervous about it though.:thumbs:

Lurking
14-01-2012, 03:54 PM
We can't top that one !.

Our laptop only had a 21" crt fall on it from about 3 feet and it's s t u f f e d.

June earthquake did this, also caused a hole in another 16" lcd screen this fell forward over the end/corner of desk.

CPU saved by falling into filing cabinet drawer, which had burst forward.

Yet to replace lappy, but Asus looks good ?.

Lurking.

Ps. have been paid out by EQC.

lurks.

Paul.Cov
15-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd run a thorough surface scan for HDD errors in case the read heads have hit the disc during the impact.

pctek
15-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I can.
A certain relative had a PC with ASUS board etc in , it sat on one benchtop, the monitor sat on another, cable screwed into back of PC. I warned him that was bad idea positioning it like that and not to screw the cable in.

So one day he accidentally knocked it off, PC hits floor - so to punish it for it's carelessness, he booted it around the floor for a while.

Two days later when I saw it, the GPU had been ripped out of socket, CD drive squashed out front from force on top of case, HDD not attached any longer, front of case pretty much mashed, switches broken, looked a bit like it had been run over by a truck.

I took it to bits, panel-beated case out, reassembled it, having to now start it by joining switch wires at front which I hung out the missing switch hole - and lo!!! It booted! And ran. happily.until about 1 year later when it was upgraded. Amazing!!

The Error Guy
15-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Electronics are relatively shock proof in general. Screens and HDD's are the sensitive parts.

Paul.Cov
15-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I can.
A certain relative had a PC with ASUS board etc in , it sat on one benchtop, the monitor sat on another, cable screwed into back of PC. I warned him that was bad idea positioning it like that and not to screw the cable in.

So one day he accidentally knocked it off, PC hits floor - so to punish it for it's carelessness, he booted it around the floor for a while.

Two days later when I saw it, the GPU had been ripped out of socket, CD drive squashed out front from force on top of case, HDD not attached any longer, front of case pretty much mashed, switches broken, looked a bit like it had been run over by a truck.

I took it to bits, panel-beated case out, reassembled it, having to now start it by joining switch wires at front which I hung out the missing switch hole - and lo!!! It booted! And ran. happily.until about 1 year later when it was upgraded. Amazing!!

Sheesh. Anger management issues?
What would he do if the dog peed in the house?
Or if the kids taped over his rugby?