PDA

View Full Version : USB ports

Cicero
13-01-2012, 11:43 AM
A puzzle for me.

Just received new powered USB hub, was very pleased when it transferred a gig in 25 seconds, but find that when I put 2 USB drives in unit for wireless mouse and keyboard, that they don't work.
When anything is plugged in it never shows in my computer, yet if I ask it to transfer a gig to a USB drive it USB drives name, say expansion drive K.

It seems to me that it will receive info but not transmit??
Thanks lads

I thought I would ask here, with guns b4 getting in touch with suppliers.

Slankydudl
13-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Usually the problem is that if the hub is not powered than splitting the power over all those devices means there is not enough power for them to operate.

Cicero
13-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Usually the problem is that if the hub is not powered than splitting the power over all those devices means there is not enough power for them to operate.

Will not transmit with just the mouse USB .

Cicero
13-01-2012, 01:12 PM
They are sending another unit,hope that works.

Lawrence
13-01-2012, 01:16 PM
A Powered Hub is one that needs an adapter plugged into 240v to supply it power and not share the power resources of the host computer

So I take the one you have has the adapter on it?

Cicero
13-01-2012, 01:20 PM
A Powered Hub is one that needs an adapter plugged into 240v to supply it power and not share the power resources of the host computer

So I take the one you have has the adapter on it?

The unit has 7 ports,one input from computer USB port and a power supply from a mains plug.

wainuitech
13-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Often you will find if you have a wireless KB / Mouse its better to plug the transmitter directly into the PC. They often give troubles Via a hub, powered or not.

I got several external USB drives here which wont work on a Hub and its powered, yet plug then in the front USB ports on the PC and no problems.

Cicero
13-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Often you will find if you have a wireless KB / Mouse its better to plug the transmitter directly into the PC. They often give troubles Via a hub, powered or not.

I got several external USB drives here which wont work on a Hub and its powered, yet plug then in the front USB ports on the PC and no problems.

I appreciate the wireless bit, but this transmits nothing, not even info of a USB drive to my computer.

To be clear on that point, if I plug a USB drive into to new unit nothing is sent as far as I can see to my computer, yet it will receive perfectly.

If you plug one in, it usually comes with a box on options, like I say I get nothing and when I go to computer there in nothing re the said USB drive.

fred_fish
13-01-2012, 01:33 PM
To be clear on that point, if I plug a USB drive into to new unit nothing is sent as far as I can see to my computer, yet it will receive perfectly.
Still not clear.
What do you mean "yet it will receive perfectly"

Cicero
13-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Still not clear.
What do you mean "yet it will receive perfectly"
If I send data from my computer it will be received by a USB drive that is plugged into unit.

fred_fish
13-01-2012, 01:41 PM
So you can see and use the drive in Explorer, just the Autostart doesn't pop up?

Cicero
13-01-2012, 03:07 PM
So you can see and use the drive in Explorer, just the Autostart doesn't pop up?

Nothing pops up when anything installed into unit, like I said it only receives, will not transmit.

Cicero
14-01-2012, 09:37 AM
If as I have just done, I put in a USB drive with a film on to watch on PC into said unit, I can find nothing to suggest that I have plugged in, so to speak, that must be wrong and a fault, what say you lads.?

fred_fish
14-01-2012, 10:38 AM
But you can still copy stuff to and from the USB drive?

I think your only issue is that the last time an Autoplay box appeared on your PC "someone" picked 'Do Nothing' and 'do this from now on'.

Cicero
14-01-2012, 11:18 AM

I think your only issue is that the last time an Autoplay box appeared on your PC "someone" picked 'Do Nothing' and 'do this from now on'.

Dear Fred, It wont transmit at all.

fred_fish
14-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Cicero
14-01-2012, 08:04 PM

To yes, from no.

fred_fish
14-01-2012, 08:13 PM
So if you click on the USB drive in explorer do you get a list of what is on it?

Cicero
14-01-2012, 09:02 PM
No, there is nothing to suggest that it is plugged in at all.

fred_fish
14-01-2012, 09:24 PM
So how do you copy stuff to it?

Cicero
15-01-2012, 07:52 AM
So how do you copy stuff to it?

Seems like it doesn't copy, or anything for that matter.

Paul.Cov
15-01-2012, 10:42 AM
What about cycling the power to the USB hub?
Pull it out from the computer. Pull the power from the hub. Remove all other USB item from the hub. Reset your computer as well for good measure. Once the computer is fully up and running (about a minute after the Desktop is displayed) try to plug power back into the hub, and then plug the hub into a REAR USB port on your computer. Wait a minute in case Windows needs to detect the hub. Then one at a time - try to add your various USB components to the hub, giving Windows a minute each time to detect / install drivers as needed.

Any good?

My wireless mouse was giving me heaps of dropouts. In my case the solution was to run a USB cable to a hub that sits a lot closer to the mouse, and plug the mouse receiver into the hub. Been trouble-free since (cheapie unpowered hub at that). Sure, not the issue you have, kinda the opposite, but what the heck.

Cicero
17-01-2012, 02:00 PM
What about cycling the power to the USB hub?
Pull it out from the computer. Pull the power from the hub. Remove all other USB item from the hub. Reset your computer as well for good measure. Once the computer is fully up and running (about a minute after the Desktop is displayed) try to plug power back into the hub, and then plug the hub into a REAR USB port on your computer. Wait a minute in case Windows needs to detect the hub. Then one at a time - try to add your various USB components to the hub, giving Windows a minute each time to detect / install drivers as needed.

Any good?

My wireless mouse was giving me heaps of dropouts. In my case the solution was to run a USB cable to a hub that sits a lot closer to the mouse, and plug the mouse receiver into the hub. Been trouble-free since (cheapie unpowered hub at that). Sure, not the issue you have, kinda the opposite, but what the heck.

What the heck indeed Paul.

New unit arrived this morn, plugged it in and it works like a charm, so faulty unit was prob.

Thanks lads for your time.

mikebartnz
17-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I suggest reading post #1 again.:groan:

Cicero
17-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I suggest reading post #1 again.:groan:
God loves a trier.